Farther down the rabbit hole I go

My wife gave me a strange and concerned look this evening when I received a 55lb sack of pale 2 row malt. I must say, looking at it, I never dreamed 2 years ago when I brewed my first extract kit that I would be so far in so fast. Still wish I started this 30 years ago.:slight_smile:

4 Likes

With you brother! I have plans in the works to renovate an old building here at the farmstead to include a dedicated brewing space. One thing about it, there are far worse pastimes. When you find that one true love… :heart_eyes: LOL

30 years ago I wouldn’t have had the time. Actually I did brew an extract about then didn’t come out that great. If it wasn’t for the internet I probably wouldn’t have advanced. You people egg me on

5 Likes

30 years ago I lacked the patience to learn good technique. I would have made sh***y beer and given up home brewing. I started home brewing exactly when I should have.

2 Likes

50lb bag. Phfff. I usually get 2-3 delivered at a time, about every 2 months. The fedex/ups person has to hate me as most of my packages weigh 100lbs each and often are 2 boxes as I order other items, say 20lbs of Munich or Vienna, etc.

Don’t worry… you too will soon be there!

2 Likes

I think I will need to be running a taproom at my house to get to that volume…

1 Like

But now being involved with a brewery, you must be able to get sacks there? Sneezles61

Typically I order then am reimbursed. It allows me to try new malts, hops, misc that we don’t keep on hand. Plus then it doesn’t interfere with inventory.

1 Like

Same here drives my wife up the wall. You buy again grain. I order 200 lbs per time. Around 50 lbs time to order again. Takes 3 weeks to get my grains on island. Must say best thing move from extract to all grain. But did made some. Great beers doing extract. All grain gives me more freedom to create. Own recipes. Indeed. Ones. You start brewing. You become obsessed to create the perfect beer. Its like in search of the holy grail. It can never be enough. Product and equipment wise. Now high season at work slows down. Time to brew. And finish. My brewing room. Brewing room wise. Sort of slacking. Still got my old room in the house. But the wife pushing the issue. She says your grandson wants his room back.

2 Likes

Thanks guys , I feel better now :slight_smile:
We will at some point be downsizing in house. But I will be upsizing in brew area. I like the idea of a small outbuilding, heat and cooled, plumbing… and on and on.

3 Likes

Like I said, you’ll get there. Often purchasing another 50lbs only costs a little more to ship.

Soon, you’ll want to brew an IPA as well as a Bitter. You’ll need both 2 Row and Maris Otter. Then you’ll realize that 55lbs of Maris Otter isn’t much more than buying a little plus you’ll have some left over to brew an English porter, an Imperial stout, or a Barley wine.

Wait till it also starts with hops… :wink:

4 Likes

And let this be some fore sight for the newbs just starting up… Do start with a 2 gallon stock pot, learn the sanitizing, the measuring, weighing and volume business there… Then Don’t get the next size up… Get a huge kettle and components… You can do 10 gallons in the same time frame as 5… … OR, if your like Loopie and Damien, get involved with a brewery!

1 Like

I’m headed to the LHBS later to pickup a sack of 2 row and a sack of Vienna, along with 20 lbs of c malt and a couple pounds each of carapils and carafa special.

I have about 25 lbs of hops in the freezer and about 10 qts of saved yeast slurry on hand.

What rabbit hole?

4 Likes

That’s a sink hole

1 Like

Prepper… LOL

Dont even begin about hops. Did sort out some hops for tomorow brew day. Did realize. Got so much hops. But need more

1 Like