extra pale ale

Does the extra mean it’s even lighter colored than a regular pale ale? Or is it stronger than regular pale ale? Or something else? :?

I don’t think there is a rule. I made some tap handles and one was for my PumpHouse Extra Pale Ale and someone responded, “Wow, Ken… you made a high-ABV Pale Ale?” and I told him that it was “extra pale”. You could make one that had an SRM of 5, 6, 7 and call it extra pale or you could make it 8% and call it an Extra Pale Ale and I think you’d be right either way.

Marketing…
It sounds cooler than American Pale Ale. Unless of course you love 'merica like I do. I call mine EAPAs (Extra American Pale Ales or Eagle American Pale Ales depending on the recipe and the availability of eagle feathers).

It only exists if you have pale ale already.

At my house, “Imperial Pale Ale” means higher ABV and more hops, like right at the lower end of the IPA scale, and “Extra Pale Ale” means that it’s lighter in color. I have a 4.1 SRM APA on tap right now that’s in the second category.

At my house, ‘Extra Pale Ale’ refers to the additional bottles waiting to be consumed.

AFAIK, XPA refers to a highly hopped, lower alcohol APA. Sort of like a “session” IPA.

[quote=“The Professor”]At my house, ‘Extra Pale Ale’ refers to the additional bottles waiting to be consumed.[/quote]Then why capitalize “extra”? :wink:

When you make beer as good as the Professor, they are just that important!

At my house, ‘Extra Pale Ale’ refers to the additional bottles waiting to be consumed.[/quote]
‘Extra’ pale ale is like ‘extra’ money - no such thing.

Or one with srm of 5, 6, or 7 and 8%.
Extra extra pale ale ? :wink: