Exceptable loss?

3 weeks ago I brewed the Caribou Slobber Extract kit for the second time. I was feeling good about it because I nailed the O.G. of 1.052, when I checked it in my brand new SS Sovereign Fermenter. This is the first time I had used this fermenter since purchasing it. As stated in the instructions I added water to bring the liquid up to the 5 gallon mark on the inside of the fermenter.

Today I transferred into a secondary, (yes I know about the ongoing debates concerning this practice) and was disappointed to end up with only 4 gallons of beer. It appears as though 1 gallon of the beer was displaced/loss to trub.

Is this an acceptable loss? would it be wrong to add additional water before fermenting to say 6 gallons to account for this loss? Would like to here thoughts from the experts.

Thank you in advance, cheers.

That seems excessive. How did you know what volume you needed to add for top off? My thinking is maybe the calibration on the fermenter may be off. I’d for sure check that with something you know is marked correctly. I have a fermenter that’s a good 1/2 gallon off. Caribou Slobber is not a big trub beer if I remember right so losing a gallon seems like a lot IMHO.

1 Like

I admit I had to look that fermenter up as I’m not familiar with it. With a big flat bottom like that your going to experience a decent amount of loss. 1gal? That’s quite a bit.

1 Like

Also. Before transferring at (at least a couple hours) put something under the side without a ball valve to obtain a little more Beer.

2 Likes

My brew partner here on island. Uses one back home in the usa. He was complaining about this as well. Using the same fermentor as well. He thinks the markings are wrong.

I would save a gallon water jug from the store to fill and pour in to check the volume in all your fermeters. Buckets used to be notorious for incorrect markings.

1 Like

One gallon loss is excessive and would not be acceptable to me. Could be trub loss but I highly doubt it. You’d have to have 4 inches or so of trub in the bottom to contain that much liquid.

I agree with the other guys that think the markings are off. Check it with a trustworthy measuring vessel.