ESB

Give me some feedback. Its simple but looks good to me. Using on hand ingredients:

Original Gravity:1.056
Bitterness:37.0
Efficiency: 70%
Attenuation: 80%
Predicted ABV: 5.82%

11 lb (88.0%) 2-Row Brewers Malt
1 lb (8.0%) Crystal 60
.5 lb (4.0%) Victory® Malt

1.75 oz (63.6%) East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - 60 m
1 oz (36.4%) East Kent Goldings 5.0%) - 10 m

1 ea White Labs WLP005 British Ale

Mash @153 Single Infusion 60 minutes

Dry hop with another oz of EKG?

Looks pretty good to me. I like the simplicity of it…the simplest recipes often make the best beers.
I agree about the dry hopping…use the most aromatic variety you have access to.

[quote=“The Professor”]Looks pretty good to me. I like the simplicity of it…the simplest recipes often make the best beers.
I agree about the dry hopping…use the most aromatic variety you have access to.[/quote]

i agree. when i first started devising recipes they were rather complicated, because i thought complicated recipes made complex beers. as i have matured in homebrewing, I’ve found the simplicity goes a long way. Some of the best beers i’ve made have had very simple recipes

It looks great to me. I love the color victory brings to the table. very nice flavor as well

good luck and happy brewin’ :cheers:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what color or enhancement in general does Victory bring to the table?

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

IME gives a nice light orange color

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Out of curiosity, what color or enhancement in general does Victory bring to the table?

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery [/quote]

I have an ordinary bitter recipe that I wasn’t real happy with until I added some victory to it. It gave the beer just a touch of complexity that really made it tasty.

I agree that the simplicity is good and this will make a good beer. I have been making some ESBs lately where I use a good English malt like a Golden Promise, Maris Otter or other pale British malt, some good English Dark Crystal like Simpsons or Thomas Fawcett and some Torrified wheat for a little body and head formation/stability. EKGs, US Kents and/or Styrian Goldings for hops and 1028 for yeast. I realize you’re brewing with what you have on hand but when you use these authentic ingredients you can really get a feel for the style. I’ll also carb mine just a little bit lower to make it a little more traditional. HERE

is a link to a thread where I had a couple of recipes and pics of some of these ESBs. Cheers & good luck with the beer.

1 Like

Recipe looks good, I’ll second the opinion that subbing british malts for the american ones will go a long way in terms of the odds that this will be a great beer.

I am going to use all English malts next time I brew and probably go with another yeast (maybe a cask or London) as well. I think English Crystal will be much better overall. This is a recipe in development so thanks for the feedback. Might be cool to take the same recipe posted and sub out the EKG for American hops and 1056 to make an APA or IPA.

I’m doing just that for my next brew. Golden Promise, Munich, English Crystal, Super Galena for bittering, Cascade for aroma, Columbus dry hop. All delightfully eaten with 1272 American Ale II.

Brother Ken,
Am I overkilling my potential recipe by using munich and eng. crystal?

The first recipe I wrote was last fall and it was an ESB with more than enough Victory malt in it and it turned out way better than I expected. This is making me ready for round two

I recently made a very similar beer with Golden Promise and a good helping of Victory plus Cascade and Goldings hops. It turned out beautifully. Nice amber color with a biscuit-nutty quality that I really enjoyed.

Have another batch with the same grain bill with a little wheat for added head retention and a much more aggressive hop schedule to make a big, malty-hopy American bitter.

I only have a half pound of Victory to use, but for future batches, what is a “good helping of Victory” to a normal 5 gallon batch? I didn’t use Munich on the ESB but have learned to use at least a pound for other types of ale to get a good balanced malt backbone for the flavor I like.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Brother Ken,
Am I overkilling my potential recipe by using munich and eng. crystal?[/quote]
I don’t think you’re overkilling it but I wonder about Munich in an ESB. I personally like to keep beers in this style simple… UK Pale Malt, good English Crystal, torrified wheat, English hops (I prefer EKG, Styrian Goldings and even US Kents) and 1968, 1028 and 1099 are my favorite English yeasts.

Tomorrow I’m going to make another bitter with this 1028 I have. I was going to try to restrain myself and make an ordinary bitter but the gravity still ended up in the special bitter/best bitter range. I was thinking it would be a “summer bitter” for warmer weather.

[b]Summer Bitter

7.5 lbs Golden Promise
8 ounces Simpsons British Crystal 70-80L
4 ounces torrfied wheat
1 oz EKG pellets @ 5.1% for 60
1.5 oz EKG pellets @ 5.1% for 5 mins
Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast

OG: 1.047, FG: 1.012, IBU: 29, SRM: 8, ABV: 4.5%[/b]

I will use 100% filtered tap water with some gypsum and calcium chloride thrown in. Single infusion mash at 151-152° for 90 mins, keep an eye on mash and sparge pH and keep lactic acid nearby if necessary, ferment on the cool side (low 60s). Simple and straightforward. Cheers Beerheads.

Came out pretty good. I have to say I am not a big fan of WLP005 (Ringwood). Will use Cask Ale yeast or other English strain I prefer and think it will come out better.

mlsouth:
I only have a half pound of Victory to use, but for future batches, what is a “good helping of Victory” to a normal 5 gallon batch? I didn’t use Munich on the ESB but have learned to use at least a pound for other types of ale to get a good balanced malt backbone for the flavor I

I found four ounces in three gallons a good amount.