ESB Attempt

Must be ESB season. I have my Red ESB on tap which is delicious by the way. And two 5 gallon fermenters bubbling away. One I plan on aging on Bret

1 Like

Just go ahead and buy more fermenters. You’re going to eventually so just get it over with.

3 Likes

Wheat is a great addition in this style like you said. I also when just using British 2 row or pale malt. I like to add a little victory or biscuit malt. A lot of your commercial breweries use it in their recipes.

1 Like

I love that British yeast taste. It’s subtle in mine using 1968. Anyone use a different yeast . Good thread @WMNoob

I’m probably going to get panned for this, but I really like Notty fermented warm in an ESB. I haven’t been crazy about 1968 in the style. But that could have been the fawcett crystal malt, it overpowers everything.

Which is my next point… be careful with fawcett crystal malts. They’re potent.

So when we get to English style CARAMEL malts, whats so different than the US crystal… As I read, they are interchangeable, yet they do have a different flavor? And Pork Chop, you’ll need to talk softly to your wheat so they aren’t terrified before you give them a warm bath :grin: Sneezles61

I was reading about making your own crystal malt using Marris otter maybe that’s the difference

Yes my thought too… Type of barley… Sneezles61

It’s not the warm bath porkchops wheat is terrified of… It’s the Notty lol

1 Like

Here is a Great article explaining difference between crystal malt and caramel malts blog.brewingwithbriess.com/is-it-crystal-or-caramel-malt/http://byo.com/

1 Like

Hah! Fixed… gotta love autocorrect. :laughing:

And yes, should have said caramel malt. I know brulosophy did one experiment with one type of caramel malt in one beer and categorically dismissed all UK caramel malts as the same as US crystal, but to me they are distinctly different. The U.K. stuff takes a light hand… it can overpower your beer in a hurry!

1 Like

Oh great Damian… now we are back into grainy again… I thought we had cleared trouble! :wink: Sneezles61

1 Like

Update:
Kegged this today. Crystal clear, beautiful rich color, and the test jar was tasty. Finished at 1.011 = 6.4 ABV. I’ll be interested to see what it’s like with some carbonation. I think this will be a good drinkable beer but will definitely try to get more with the style on the next go round using all the great info shared in this thread! Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey, if you like it, who cares if it’s to style! Nicely done.

2 Likes

I really like that, when you find some styles you like, just go figure what your taste buds want. From there you’ll tweak it and play with it… DONT ever get pigeon holed by what the brew judges call a certain style… Let you palate lead you! Sneezles61

3 Likes

@sneezles61! We need to share a pint or four.

2 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

Final: This is delicious! Not just my opinion as I am requested to bring it when I bring beer. :rofl: Going to have to get another batch rolling very soon!

1 Like

So now… where will the rendezvous be? Sneezles61

Someplace cool, hopefully… 95* here today, sheesh!