Erlenmeyer Flask on Glass Top Stove

Any thoughts about using an Erlenmeyer Flask on a glass top electric stove? I’ve heard of some concerns of the flask breaking… is this true?

THANKS

I use mine on a ceramic top stove all the time with no problem. I’ve heard that coil burners are not good for them.

The electric coils are higher temp concentrated area than the flame/bunsen burner many flasks are designed for. A good number of home brewers have found this out the hard way. A Simmer Ring or Heat Diffuser can lessen the chances of an accident.

thanks… I used it on my glass top, no problem

You can place it in a pan to diffuse the heat.

FWIW, I’ve used mine on a glass top for a few years now with no problems. Doesn’t mean that it couldn’t brea tomorrow. Since it’s not sitting directly on the coils I don’t see how it could be a problem.

I’ve boiled water in mine by placing it in a pan with some water in the bottom to help defuse the heat.

My question is, do you use reserved wort from a previous batch? It seems like a royal pain to get the DME into the flask w/o boilovers. I haven’t managed it. I’d rather boil it in the pot, then transfer the wort to a sanitized flask. Then you get the benefit of less boilover and the nice flask shape for easy decanting.

[quote=“SoltanGris”]I’ve boiled water in mine by placing it in a pan with some water in the bottom to help defuse the heat.

My question is, do you use reserved wort from a previous batch? It seems like a royal pain to get the DME into the flask w/o boilovers. I haven’t managed it. I’d rather boil it in the pot, then transfer the wort to a sanitized flask. Then you get the benefit of less boilover and the nice flask shape for easy decanting.[/quote]

this. I was literally at my LHBS buying fermcap for my wort starters just so i could boil in the 2000ml erlenmeyer. Then I realized #1, fermcap might not even prevent a boilover and #2 that I have an erlenmeyer because it has a flat bottom and easily works with a stir plate, NOT so I could boil in it.

Now I measure out the water in the erlenmeyer, pour into a pot, add DME, boil, transfer back to the e-meyer. done.

I’ve used mine on a glass top stove in the past. I have gas now, though.

Be very careful when boiling. Boil overs are an absolute nightmare to clean up on a glass top stove.

Glass top stove, ordinarily found in electric stoves, represents somewhat of a test with regards to cleaning prepared on oil and food. Despite the fact that the surface is smooth and simple to wipe down, the glass top can undoubtedly be damaged on the off chance that you utilize some unacceptable material to clear off food. In any case, with a couple of fixings found in your home and a little tolerance, you’ll see that cleaning your glass top oven without hurting the surface couldn’t be simpler. Click here for and get more information about kitchen equipment.

Well, Hi. Mr. BOT!

1 Like