Earth Day

Oregon’s deposit went up to 10 cents this year. So a case of 40 water bottles has a 4 dollar deposit when the water itself is only 2 dollars. It’s good incentive to bring them back if you do purchase water this way.

1 Like

I’m not sure how it works for being water conscience… But for the chilling cycle I’ve thought of a controller and some type of vessel(s) in a freezer on wheels you could pull out and chill your brew through a closed loop then push it back… Perhaps thats something done with a glycol chiller? Heat exchanger plate thingamajobby? Someone has this contraption? Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeh I always have felt bad about letting the water just run. I started stirring my wort though and went down from 45 minutes to 15 with this method. Some people catch the water in buckets and use it for other purposes. I just try to direct it toward the foliage and garden area as best as I can.

I’ve collected 35 gallons… Not much to water in the winter… Perhaps, since we live in a gravel soil, we’re just recirculating it? Thats about the only way I can sum it up to help make sense… Sneezles61

1 Like

Exactly. We’re on a well also so it does percolate back down into the aquifer. You’ve only consumer the electricity used to pump it. I wonder how that would look compared to a system that recircs and refrigerates? We changed our chiller from one that took forever to one that’ll cool wort in a few minutes so improved the amount of pump cycles it takes. I think you’re on to something with the ideas you have to improve the process incrementally with an eye to what impacts those changes have. (PHILOSOPHY ALERT) “Ripples on a pond.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking as a Brooklyner we are progressing each year in recycling. We are now up to almost every type of plastic being recyclable. All electronics must be recycled, large buildings can apply for clothes recycling bins, school food waste is composted and city wide composting can happen if enough interest is created in your area. All businesses pay 3rd parties to have their garbage removed and that must be sorted or your business will be fined.
Apparently there is enough money in paper recycling that there are several paper recycling rustling rings in the city and you are encouraged to report stolen paper recycling.

1 Like

Back in the 80’s, cardboard recycling was so valuable that company’s quickly made enclosed/gated cardboards enclosures to stop the theft… Come the 90’s and they all disappeared… That was in the Twin Cities of Mn. Sneezles61

1 Like