Dubbel recipe advice

I agree Rustyhoover… It seems some home brewers just gotta duplicate the recipe to a T… I really doubt you could tell if a brew was made using candi sugar… Or just dump in plain old sugar… Sneezles61

Let me google that for you …

https://www.oconnorshomebrew.com/2013/04/the-great-candi-syrup-experiment/

“Belgian brewers have largely replaced clear candi sugar and syrup in their golden ales and tripels with sucrose, beet sugar, dextrose and other types of white processed sugar.”

2 Likes

Did look at one of they. Diy. Candy sugar video. Mmmm. Not lots of work. But sticky. Think wife would be not pleased if i use one of her pots

1 Like

So does it really makes a big difference. Regular. Cane sugar. Or. Hard candy. Or candy syrup. Me never used this before. But it got me thinking

I think candi sugar (especially the dark versions) adds a layer of taste and complexity whereas regular sugars have none

1 Like

What about rock candy. Did find some yesterday. It contains. Corn sugar. And. Some lime. And glucose. Did taste it. Way more complex than regular sugar.

Simple sugars just dry out… I think if you put a dark candi and enough of it in a very light brew, you should taste the caramel… Sneezles61