Dual use for beer gear

Anyone come up with interesting other uses for beer gear? Either end of life like turning glass carboys into terrariums or clever cooking techniques using your hop-spider.

I’ve found these beer can toppers make excellent frisbee/ ninja stars and my kids love throwing them at each other.

4 Likes

Safe enough to throw at each other! I use my old 8gal kettle as a decoction kettle now. Although I’ve used it once :joy:
My old SS gravity sculpture now holds my old 15gal HLT, MT, and BK as well as other storage items. Prob not what you had in mind though…. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s what I had in mind. My old 5g kettle is now a dye kettle for fabric dyeing. As a result nothing food related will be used in it again.

I grabbed a small 3gal stainless kettle with volume marks on it at a tag sale. I thought i could use it for decoction. Lady said she dyed fabric in it. I washed it good. Haven’t used it yet now im concerned

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too concerned. My better half would argue otherwise. I think stainless cleans pretty well.

I’ve used a long length of tubing filled with water as a extra large level more than once. Simple and effective tool.

1 Like

Besides that they are readily recyclable, unlike the metric tons of clear plastic six pack rings, winding up in albatross stomachs.

Now…What the heck do I do now with my fancy schmancy top 0’ the line stir plate? Haven’t used it in years since the SNSYS info came to light
…I guess it might be kind of cool to use it to mix drinks at a party with my 5 L Erlenmeyer!

Used to be called a “water level”… Ceiling contractors used them … centuries ago… :joy:
Now you have lighted lasers… do not look into the light… Or drink the the old ones water… They may have antifreeze in them…
Sneezles61

1 Like

This way of measures see if something is level. All the older construction workers on island they still use

3 Likes

I did not know about the 6 pack rings ending up in albatross. Do they think they are jellyfish or something? We have cut those old fashion 6 pack rings for about as long as I can remember so wildlife doesn’t become stuck in them.

Yeah, easy to see how this happens…

But you are absolutely right, cutting them up is helpful. There is some progress being made as awareness of this plastic(in general, not just the rings) problem unfolds.

1 Like

Now it seems using returnables isn’t such a bad idea…
Sneezles61
EDIT: this was introduced in 2016? I’ve not seen any such product on the market… Perhaps… its too much hassle to change out raw product and machinery to “help” try clean up the oceans? :no_mouth:

1 Like

Unfortunately it is even the smallest breakdown particles from plastic rings (and other plastics ) that persist making a type of ‘plastic soup’ that ends up in sealife…(and even our drinking water by some reports).

2 Likes

Im old enough to remember using a water level. Footings, determine grades. Quicker than a laser because you can go around corners and around things. Anyone doing construction should know how to use one

1 Like

I actually had an electronic water level once.

1 Like

How about an eyeball level" I think it was called an Engineers level?? IFN you knew what you was doing… it was quite accurate…
Sneezles61

Shitty part. Turtles think its food.

1 Like