Dry yeast vs liquid

I NEVER used dry yeast. Then one day I did an impromptu brew and that’s all I had. US05 and it was so simple and no different from 1056/001. Now, I use it anytime a slurry gets old because I can pitch 2 packs for cheaper than liquid + starter with no prep.

34/70, diamond lager is great. And turns out clear as day.

@dmtaylo2 have you tried anyone of the new dry yeasts like the kolsch?

2 Likes

I’ve got the K-97 and S-189 going right now. K-97 seems really good, S-189 perhaps more bland, but they’re not totally finished yet. I imagine the new Lallemand Koln yeast is likely similar to K-97.

I agree, it is less about the cost these days…the price of dry yeast has risen substantially over the past 6-7 years. When I started the stuff was so cheap I remember thinking how the heck could they turn a profit ?

2 Likes

I’ve yet to rehydrate dry yeast and have had no issues related to that aspect. Other than keeping the hose end as high as possible when draining into the fermenter, I don’t do anything extra to oxygenate the wort. I do rock it gently and slowly to try to spread the yeast out. I pitched 2 packs of 05 to a 1.095 wort ad it fermented out just fine.

3 Likes

Ha! Now you’re showing your age :joy: . A leather leisure suit!
All the millennials staring blankly and scratching their heads.

3 Likes

Gee I never wore a leisure suit but a leather leisure suit I’ll bet is worth some money. I had a friend who showed up in a purple velour leisure suit with platform heels once after watching the movie " Superfly" he thought he was the cats ass

5 Likes