dry yeast starter?

I have just realized I order my St. Paul Porter with the dry yeast by accident :cry: Can you make a starter with dried yeast? I know to rehydrate it first in warm water. is the procedure the same? I searched but found nothing on this.

Thanks All!!!

Making a starter with dry yeast will render all the work that has gone into making them “dry yeast” useless. You’ll want to rehydrate in warm sterile water for 10-15 minutes then pour in the fermenter. No starters with dry yeast.

Dry yeast contains twice as many cells than does liquid yeast. You are safe pitching 1 pack of rehydrated dry yeast into 1.070 wort.

A heads up on the porter: If you can, try and save some of this for at least 6 months. I recently tried some from my first batch that was 6 months old and compared it to one that was only a month in the bottles. Same flavors but the older beer was so much smoother and the flavors were blended perfectly.

:cheers:

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Dry yeast contains twice as many cells than does liquid yeast. You are safe pitching 1 pack of rehydrated dry yeast into 1.070 wort.

A heads up on the porter: If you can, try and save some of this for at least 6 months. I recently tried some from my first batch that was 6 months old and compared it to one that was only a month in the bottles. Same flavors but the older beer was so much smoother and the flavors were blended perfectly.

:cheers: [/quote]

thanks for the heads up!!! I’m a huge advocate for aging beers. I have a lot of commercial beers aging in my cellar right now. I like to compare them year afer year with each other so I can see the change in them. I age anything dark.