dry yeast starter?

Hey, I’m just about to start my second brew and I purchased a 2000ml yeast starter kit. From the video I watched I assumed that a yeast starter would improve any fermentation. But now I’m not sure that is really the case. Will there be any adverse effects to using a yeast starter for kits that are not high gravity? Will it help at all? Can I use dry yeast in a yeast starter and get the desired outcome?

Thanks in advance.

You don’t need to make a starter with dry yeast and it may in fact reduce the yeasts effectiveness.

Thanks, I won’t worry about it then.

Normally you would not use a starter for dry yeast. A starter with old dry yeast? Not sure. Advice may be to throw it out and get fresher yeast because of the low cost. A starter for liquid yeast may be necessary with any beer depending upon the age of the yeast. Try this calculator when you use liquid yeast.

http://yeastcalc.com/

You may want to consider rehydrating the dry yeast, however. It helps the yeast strengthen cell membranes before the intake of wort. But, admittedly, there is enough yeast cells in a dry packet to directly sprinkle it onto the wort.

Just my two cents…

:cheers: