dry yeast starter?

So i recently got the black ipa kit from NB and realized i ordered the dry yeast instead of the usually smack packs i get. The last time i made this i made a starter and used my stir plate, but as I’m reading about dry yeast most people are saying NOT to make a starter with it. Ive only used wyeast smack packs up to this point, should i just buy another pack of dry yeast and double up or have people made starters and had good results? Thanks in advance for any help.

If you’re worried about cell count, rehydrate the dry yeast before pitching. Or buy a second packet. But don’t make a starter - dry yeast is packaged with all the nutrients it needs for fermentation and making a starter will just deplete the reserves.

There is debate about the need to rehydrate, but I choose to do it. Everything said above is what some of the manufacturers say is the case and it makes sense. Even so, some sprinkle directly onto the chilled wort and swear by the results. For my money, I think there is a little delay in the uptake when sprinkled directly into the wort, so I favor rehydration. It has never let me down and gives the yeast a little better numbers against anything else that made its way into the wort.

:cheers: