Dry Lager Yeast

Drove to another LHBS and picked up 4 more packs of 34/70. Pitched 4 packs straight into each carboy at about 52 degrees and shook them good. They’re down to 50 now 6 hours later and there’s a light foam on the surface of each.

That’s the most I’ve spent on a batch of brew in a while but I should have a great supply of 34/70 in the fridge after.

I used 34/70 for 3 successive lagers this year and it worked great. I used 2 packs/carboy for the first batch and pitch dregs into the next two. All turned out well.

At $5-6 a pack that is an expensive brew. Ouch!

[quote=“Beersk”]beermebeavis wrote:
fermented my second-of-the-year Vienna Lager (50 OG) and just now kegged it to lager. Only used two packs of non-hydrated yeast (just sprinkled it on top of wort) both times. No off flavors detected on either.

Have good attenuation?
[/quote]

I was satisfied with it. Same recipe both times (actually was a SMASH recipe). As you can see, the second batch had a lower OG (due to a less-vigorous boil). Also, the only aeration I do is to use an “aeration tip” on the end of my tubing, which sprays the wort into the fermenter from the kettle. [final fact: actually not a true SMASH–Used about 3/4 oz of “Maltoferm” for color–otherwise the hue is too light per style guidelines].
52—>11
43—>12

[quote=“beermebeavis”][quote=“Beersk”]beermebeavis wrote:
fermented my second-of-the-year Vienna Lager (50 OG) and just now kegged it to lager. Only used two packs of non-hydrated yeast (just sprinkled it on top of wort) both times. No off flavors detected on either.

Have good attenuation?
[/quote]

I was satisfied with it. Same recipe both times (actually was a SMASH recipe). As you can see, the second batch had a lower OG (due to a less-vigorous boil). Also, the only aeration I do is to use an “aeration tip” on the end of my tubing, which sprays the wort into the fermenter from the kettle. [final fact: actually not a true SMASH–Used about 3/4 oz of “Maltoferm” for color–otherwise the hue is too light per style guidelines].
52—>11
43—>12[/quote]
Nice. Kind of surprised you don’t have attenuation problems without much aeration. Perhaps has something to do with mash profile as well. I was going to brew a helles this weekend, but a coffee stout or porter sounds good right now and I haven’t brewed on of those in a long time. Of course, I could wait and use yeast from a helles for the coffee stout…hmmm decisions, decisions…

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“beermebeavis”][quote=“Beersk”]beermebeavis wrote:

Have good attenuation?
[/quote]

52—>11
43—>12[/quote]
Nice. Kind of surprised you don’t have attenuation problems without much aeration. Perhaps has something to do with mash profile as well. I was going to brew a helles this weekend, but a coffee stout or porter sounds good right now and I haven’t brewed on of those in a long time. Of course, I could wait and use yeast from a helles for the coffee stout…hmmm decisions, decisions…[/quote]

Aeration is much less necessary with dry yeast. I usually skip it altogether.

Man, that’s just crazy. I just can’t fathom not aerating the wort any.

Yep, same here. No aeration with dry yeast. The reconstituted dry yeast do not need the oxygen because dry yeast are packaged with the required nutrients, which the liquid yeast need to synthesize, and the synthesis requires oxygen. Something about sterols, fatty acids, and cell walls and all that, can’t remember off the top of my head. Someone smarter than me can probably give a better answer. :lol:

Well, think about why you do it…to allow the yeast to synthesize sterols that keep cell walls flexible to allow for cell growth. But dry yeast has many more cells than liquid and usually doesn’t need to grow to have enough cells.

Nutrients and sterols are 2 separate things.

As far as aeration goes, I do All my batches in the same manner, no matter if they are super strong ales or liter beers. For example, my Belgian Golden Strong (which is fermented with a ‘liquid’, third generation, re-harvested yeast) goes from 72 OG—>5 FG, no problem, no off-flavors.

In my mind, It’s all about balancing what your yeast needs (oxegon, volume of yeast, nutrients, environment) for your final goal. And I find that for me there never has been a need for the addition of “one minute of pure oxegon,” like some brewers believe is needed.

As a final example, My RIS goes from 100—>25 without any other method other than spraying the wort into the fermenter, as described previously. This being a “dry yeast” recipe.

An extra pack or two of dry yeast can make up for being lazy in some other aspects of your process.

[quote=“beermebeavis”][quote=“Beersk”]beermebeavis wrote:

Have good attenuation?
[/quote]

52—>11
43—>12[/quote]

I just pump mine through my plate chiller into the carboy letting it splash and by the time the carboy it filled there’s a couple inches of foam on top of the wort. I have a sparge tip that I use when ‘sparging’ my BIAB bag. I may try sanitizing that and using it in the manner you describe. That would certainly add even more aeration.

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the performance of 34/70 so far. There was a light foam on the surface of the wort a few hours after pitching but it hasn’t gone much further than that in the last 60 hours or so at 48-50 degrees. I’m going to let them warm up to 52 today and see if that will kick it up a notch.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]which sprays the wort into the fermenter from the kettle. [final fact: actually not a true SMASH–Used about 3/4 oz of “Maltoferm” for color–otherwise the hue is too light per style guidelines].
52—>11
43—>12

I just pump mine through my plate chiller into the carboy letting it splash and by the time the carboy it filled there’s a couple inches of foam on top of the wort. I have a sparge tip that I use when ‘sparging’ my BIAB bag. I may try sanitizing that and using it in the manner you describe. That would certainly add even more aeration.

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the performance of 34/70 so far. There was a light foam on the surface of the wort a few hours after pitching but it hasn’t gone much further than that in the last 60 hours or so at 48-50 degrees. I’m going to let them warm up to 52 today and see if that will kick it up a notch.[/quote]

Bro: from what I’ve read, you won’t see much action on surface of a lager, as it’s all occurring “on the bottom.” Unsure if this is science, but it Is my experience that a lager foams very little on surface during fermentation

[quote=“beermebeavis”][quote=“dannyboy58”]which sprays the wort into the fermenter from the kettle. [final fact: actually not a true SMASH–Used about 3/4 oz of “Maltoferm” for color–otherwise the hue is too light per style guidelines].
52—>11
43—>12

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the performance of 34/70 so far. There was a light foam on the surface of the wort a few hours after pitching but it hasn’t gone much further than that in the last 60 hours or so at 48-50 degrees. I’m going to let them warm up to 52 today and see if that will kick it up a notch.[/quote]

Bro: from what I’ve read, you won’t see much action on surface of a lager, as it’s all occurring “on the bottom.” Unsure if this is science, but it Is my experience that a lager foams very little on surface during fermentation[/quote]
My lagers usually have a 1/4-1/2 inch of krauesen a few days in. I’ve used 3 different Wyeast lager strains with the same experience for the most part. Usually with big starters.

These just have little foam islands here and there…

I told you, be mindful of pitch rate and temp!

I just did a lager using 34/70 and had 1/2 inch of krausen In 24 hours. I bought 2 packs of yeast and the day before brewing when I was prepping everything I noticed the packs were expired. I ended up rehydrating both packs and pitching them in 2000ml starter. They took off no problem and seemed done by the time I pitched them the next day. I know you shouldn’t make a starter with dry yeast but I needed to make sure these guys were alive.

Yea and i pitched 4 packs per 5.5 gals at 50 which was right in the sweet spot according to fermentis web site you posted.

Speaking of expired yeast… I just pitched 2 packets of Notty that were 4 years past expiration. From what I’ve read, dry yeast loses about 5% viability per year, so they should be plenty good still. At least, I’m hoping so… fermenting at 68-70. Also aerated with 30-45 seconds of O2. So, we’ll see. I’ve got US-05 as a backup.

4 years that’s crazy. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

“I’m a bit underwhelmed by the performance of 34/70 so far. There was a light foam on the surface of the wort a few hours after pitching but it hasn’t gone much further than that in the last 60 hours or so at 48-50 degrees. I’m going to let them warm up to 52 today and see if that will kick it up a notch.”

I started doing lagers last winter and pitched 3 packs into a .070 maibock. Fermented out at 51* there was some lag time so I swirled it a bunch of times and it finally took off. I’ve repitced it four times now and there is no lag time with the slurry.