Dry hopping with pellet hops

Hello I am wondering what methods do people use to dry hop with pellet hops?

Bags and or steel screens.

2 Likes

Pour into primary when the beer has cleared.

In the keg, in a stainless hop sleeve, room temperature for 3-7 days before chilling. Hops stay until keg kicks.

In the keg with a one gallon paint strainer bag weighted down with marbles.

Me dryhop secondary. 6 days before kegging. Just toss them in

I almost always use Leaf Hops for Dry Hopping IPAs in a wide mouth glass 5 gallon carboy.

or

When I do I use a “Paint Strainer White Mesh Nylon Bag - Amazon” sanitized first with Star San and with a Weight in it to sink it (small coffee mug) plus tie wrap.

I have used SS filter tubes with pellet hops but they are very difficult to clean.

2-3 oz of leaf hops works great on IPAs (Cascade or Centennial).

I also grow hops in my back yard for this purpose.

I let my ipas sit in primary for 2 weeks. Then dump in the pellets and let sit another 2 weeks. Then rack to bottling buck for bottling or into a keg. I sanitize the hop bags before dumping and use santized scissors to cut them open.

Just curious if anyone has used Greg Noonan’s alternative dry hopping technique where he saves some of the wort or makes an extract liquor with the same OG, boils it to sterilize and then takes it off the heat, adds the hops, and then lets them steep for 15 minutes. Then he strains out the hops and adds the wort to the beer in secondary. It didn’t sound like a large amount of hopped wort, so I don’t think fermentation will kick back up a lot. I want to try it as I always seem to get an astringent tea flavor to my IPA’s which he states in his book is caused by dry hopping, and this technique doesn’t cause that according to him. Interesting.

Hmm, I have a copy of Greg’s book, but missed that technique. Sounds interesting, although a bit of an extra effort. So far I have not experienced any astringent flavors in my dryhopped brews, but if I do, this might be worth trying. On 2nd thought though, since you’re adding the hop pellets to hot, near boiling wort, it would probably isomerize more alpha acids and lead to a little more bitterness than simple dryhopping (which of course new research indicates that you do get some bitterness from dryhopping, but that’s a topic for another discussion).
And to the original poster- after usually a week in my fermenter, I crack the lid and dump in the pellets. Although if it’s a NEIPA, I also do it at 2-3 days. After a week with the pellets, I cold crash, sometimes hit it with gelatin (not the NEIPA though) and package.

1 Like

Sounds more like a whirlpool or steep hop addition than dry hop. I think you’d get slightly different results. Longer stability but not as much aroma.

My findings are, dry hop at room temp 3-5 days, then keg… I’ve dry hopped in the keg, cold and perceived a grassy taste/aroma… My MO is to wait until ferment is done… and I mean done… Rack to the keg and dry hop… cones in a bag, weighted… Again, 3-5 days… Into the keezer for a set it and forget it… Thats where having 10 gallons of brew each time I brew works out good. Sneezles61

1 Like