Dry Hopping Temperature

I know there was a recent discussion about dry hopping where we discussed the effects of temperature on dry hopping but I can’t find the thread.

I’ve been dry hopping in the keg for some time now. Usually dropping a bag of hops into the keg and racking the beer in, then putting it in the conditioning fridge and on gas. I had not been happy of late with the aroma I was getting from the DH.

This last 10 gallon batch I followed that MO with one 5 gal keg. The other keg DH’d at room temp for 5 days prior to chilling and putting on gas.

I found the keg that was left at room temp for 5 days had much better aroma than the one that went right in the fridge.

Anyone else care to share their experiences with regard to this?

I’ve never compared, but I have heard that it will take longer at colder temps. Perhaps the cold keg hadn’t reached full potential at tasting. How long had they sat before tapping?

60F for about a week, then into the fridge does the trick for me.

I think it’s more related to the temperature. Both were given the same amount of time to condition.

From what I’ve read, dry hopping should definitely be done out of the fridge in the mid-upper 60 degree range. I always dry hop in the keg now but my SOP is to drop in the bag of hops for 4-10 days depending on the recipe in my basement which averages 65 year round before putting it into the kegerator to carb. I leave the hops in the keg for the duration of the keg.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Next 10 gal. brew I’ll have to try both ways to see if I can notice a difference. I plan on brewing an ESB this weekend, maybe I can bump it up to 10.

That’s my new MO. I had a couple Bell’s 2 hearted ales tonight. I find Bell’s to be a bit inconsistent. Sometimes they’re great…others…not so much…maybe it’s the travel from Michigan to Virginia?

Anyway…the ones I had tonight reminded me of my IPA DH’d in the fridge…just not enough aroma.

You are correct, warmer is better. I even try to keep it in the mid 70’s for 3-5 days.

I have 10 gals of ESB in primary at a week. The plan is to keg hop both, one in the fridge, one out.
Not that I doubt anyone’s results, just curious if I can notice a difference.