Dopplebock water profile

Hey everyone. I’m brewing this recipe from BYO next weekend and was wondering what water profile you would use?

I was thinking about using Beersmith’s Dortmund, Germany water profile:

Calcium 250 Mg 25 Soudium 70 Sulfate 280 Chloride 100 Bicarbonate 550

Thank you,
Luke

Calcium 50, sodium(as low as you can go), sulfur <80, chloride120, bicarbonate <30.
A typical profile for a clean malty beer (YMMV)

1 Like

It looks like the recipe is behind a pay wall. I already pay for another service or two.

Have you a water report for yer water?
Sneezles61

I just use distilled water and build from there. But the recipe is:

15 lbs. (6.8 kg) light Munich malt (10 °L)
5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) German Pilsner malt
3.0 lbs. (1.4 kg) CaraMunich® malt (50 °L)
6 AAU Hallertauer hops (60 min.) (1.5 oz./42 g of 4% alpha acids)
4 AAU Hallertauer hops (30 min.) (1.0 oz./28 g of 4% alpha acids)

Mash at 154 F

3 Likes

Now that I’ve kegged this, I wonder what type of CaraMunich you all would have used?

Cara 2 is listed on NB as 46° L and Cara 3 is 57° L

I used 3 pounds of Cara 3. Kegged it on Sunday and excited to try it. Planning on making it an eisbock if I didn’t overdo any flavors.

Does it get that cool down in Iowa? :joy: Clowning there… We’ve some dear friends that live in Exira…
Sneezles61

The Caramunich III is a bit darker than the I or II, and would likely add a bit more ‘caramel or burnt sugar’ flavor. Probably a reasonable choice for a doppelbock. Good discussion here:

Interesting…I really didn’t think of Munich I and II as “crystal malts”…I knew they had less diastatic power.

We have a pretty mild winter down here compared to our neighbors up North :wink:

I’m 30 minutes from Exira! If you’re ever visiting please reach out and stop for a pint!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that discussion! I didn’t think of them as crystal malts either. I will report back how the dopplebock tastes and go from there with the eisbock.