Does longer bottle conditioning equal more carbonation?

So I popped my first bottle of beer after a week of bottling conditioning. There is a very slight carbonation and no head. Does longer bottle conditioning equal more carbonation?

A week of conditioning is very short IMHO. It will easily take 2 weeks for the yeast to consume the sugar and for the CO2 to hydrate. Once the CO2 hydrates it can produce the head your looking for. This is why soda’s (pop) head disappears so quickly out of the machine. In addition, you’ll want to chill the bottles for at least a few days for the CO2 to be dissolved into the beer. The colder the beer the more volumes of CO2 it can hold.

There is not infinite carb’ing going on… When the sugar is used up… its done… You do have to give it at the very least 2 weeks at 70*F…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks. I have a bottling session with a friend in about a week and a half so I will try it again then.

2 Likes

Does the ambient temperature of the room affect carbonation like it affects fermentation?

1 Like

Too cool and it takes longer… Some peeps put some in a plastic soda bottle… As it ferments in that bottle, it gets hard to squeeze it… you know its filling up with CO2… Maybe you’ll employ this simple test… And very, very gently swirl the brew and sugar mixture as yer bottling… Get/keep it well mixed…
Sneezles61

1 Like

No. Not enough fermentation going on to affect flavor. I wouldn’t go extreme but any thing 70°-75° is fine.

1 Like

Room temperature that you are comfortable with will be fine for your bottles

1 Like