Do you listen to music while brewing? If so, what?

Bluegrass? And you live in the Twin Cities? I bet you brew a lot on Saturday
http://jazz88.mpls.k12.mn.us/bluegrass_saturday_morning
mornings. As do I . . .

Additionally, I’m an Irish musician (as is one of my brewing companions) so the music in the garage tends towards Irish & Scottish trad and pub music, as well as pipes. Can never get enough highland and uilleann pipes. Since we tend to brew a lot of Irish, Scottish, English, and ‘British’ ales, the music seems doubly appropriate.

A very eclectic mix comes through my speakers on brew day.

If it’s colder/I’m working very late, a mix of Boston based hardcore bands usually comes up. Tomorrow, my brother and I will probably listen to a fair amount of Johnny Horton and some other rockabilly highlights. Mix in some mid-90’s rap/hip hop, some speed metal, some dub/acid jazz, and classic rock and you round everything out.

I listen to the same playlist when cleaning, though: a mix of Pantera, Metallica, and Megadeth.

Cheers.

Almost always blues… Muddy Waters, John Lee, BB King.

If not blues, Arcade Fire.

Gaelic Storm - “What’s the Rumpus?”
Allman Brothers, “- An Evening With the Allman Brothers”
Keb 'Mo, “Suitcase”
Jesse Cook, “Best of Jesse Cook”
The Church, “Starfish”
Mozart, “Clarinet Concertos”

I’ve recently stopped listening to music altogether while bottling/brewing/racking. Maybe I just don’t have the motions down well enough, but I’d rather give it 100% focus and good music always seems to distract me.

For me, it’s German/Bavarian big band and polka. I like to create as much good juju as possible for my beer on brew day, so I go for songs that create as much of an Oktoberfest-esque atmosphere as possible.

I like to mix it up a bit. Current set list includes

Rush
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Volbeat
Queens of the Stone Age
The White Stripes

Anything Irish flavored…Solas, Flogging Molly, The Pogues. It just feels right.

:cheers:

Slainte!!

I have over 2700 songs by 135 different artists on my Ipod. I usaully have that plugged into a radio out by the brew area. Everything from Classical, Jaz, Johnny cash, Leonard Cohen, The Dead, Metal, ska, punk, classic rock… You name it, I probabnly have it, or something from that genre, other than rab / R&B and country (modern country, that is)
If not, it’s the radio just tuned to my usual station, which is normally the classic rock oned here. Most of the good indie / modern rock stations have been taken over or shut down the past couple years.
Sometimes I’ll bring a guitar out and strum along between addditions or waiting things to come up to temp / cool down.

[quote=“Thirstyone”]

Hey Muddy,
Thanks for the killer sites man! I still like to play my old bootleg cassettes every now and then(got a bunch!) but those sites will be awesome. That Mule set list is Crazy Good! Warren is the man! Especially after partaking with a few cold ones! Goin’ Phishin right now! :cheers: [/quote]

+100

I am starting to like you guys better all the time. I have about 6 TB of archived Grateful Dead/Garcia and related music and videos. Less time to mess with it since I started brewing and moved having a longer commute, but that is my go to band.

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“Thirstyone”]

Hey Muddy,
Thanks for the killer sites man! I still like to play my old bootleg cassettes every now and then(got a bunch!) but those sites will be awesome. That Mule set list is Crazy Good! Warren is the man! Especially after partaking with a few cold ones! Goin’ Phishin right now! :cheers: [/quote]

+100

I am starting to like you guys better all the time. I have about 6 TB of archived Grateful Dead/Garcia and related music and videos. Less time to mess with it since I started brewing and moved having a longer commute, but that is my go to band.[/quote]

No problem guys. Glad I could help out.

Dimmu Borgir, Nirvana, Marilyn Manson

For the most part I don’t listen to any music or even have the television on when I am preparing strike water, waiting on a boil, etc, etc, brewing. I find it too distracting. I usually just park myself in front of the computer for a few minutes between steps and cleaning and putting away.

Now enjoying home brew and music is whole other thread!

Grateful Dead mostly, otherwise String Cheese Incident or Widespread Panic.

Lots of alt stuff. Latest downloads include Wild Belle, Local Natives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Blondfire, Killers and The Neighbourhood.

I sometimes put on a some good old German beer hall music records. :cheers:

Depends on my mood and who I am brewing with.

This past weekend the playlist was Alice in Chains, Clutch, The Smoking Popes, and Hot Water Music.

+1

For any panic fan and/or bluegrass fan. this is a pretty interesting couple sets of music.

Just giving it a spin(stream) now.

::EDIT there are a few times I want to throat punch the singers. During the travelin’ light he says lightS everytime. There is no “S”. Even you are going to cover panic covering jj cale at least know the correct lyrics.

http://www.panicstream.net/vault/pickin ... denver-co/

Pickin’ On Widespread Panic
2013-06-13
Cervantes’ Other Side
Denver, CO

~SET I~

1. Knockin ‘Round The Zoo
  2. Disco->
  3. Arleen
  4. The Waker
  5. I’m Not Alone
  6. Travlin’ Light
  7. Tall Boy
  8. Holden Oversoul->
  9. Sharon
  10. Chilly Water

~SET II~

1. Surprise Valley->
  2. Blackout Blues->
  3. Thought Sausage
  4. Jack
  5. Coconut
  6. Action Man
  7. Fishwater
  8. The Take Out->
  9. Porch Song
  10. Blue Indian->
  11. Red Hot Mama

Pickers:

Tori Pater – vocals/acoustic guitar
Spanky McCluer – upright bass
Adam Stern – acoustic guitar
Zack Daniels – banjo
Chris Field – fiddle
C. Max Paley – mandolin
Chris Sheldon – banjotron

I guess I’m old here. Never heard of a lot of these bands.

60s, 70’s and 80’s rock:
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Queen
Rolling Stones
Boston
Doors
Peter Frampton
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Meatloaf
Rod Steward