Do you listen to music while brewing? If so, what?

Not brewing related at all. Just for shits and giggles.

My go to is Phish. I will start a Phish show from the get go, and just let it go. Usually youtubes of the whole show are going on the flat screen. If not Phish, it usually is Widespread Panic and/or Grateful Dead.

Nothing beats some good music and a brew day.

All over the map. Alternative anything is my go-to along with bluesy stuff like Big Head Todd or Reggae. To be honest, I do a lot of my brewing very early in the morning so I can’t really JAM too much. But I will say this… the 1% or so of the time that I can brew on the weekend, I crank tunes and drink beer and it’s a whole different ballgame. Some recent downloaded favorites include… Foster the People, Silversun Pickups, Death Cab For Cutie, Black Keys, Santigold, M83, GroupLove, Young the Giant, The Strokes, Wolf Gang, The Killers, Muse, Naked & Famous, Phoenix…

Any on that starts their list with big head todd is A OK in my book.

I almost always listen to music while brewing, not really anything in particular though. Actually, based on Ken’s post I think we share a pretty similar playlist :cheers:

It depends: with whatever I’m brewing I want it infused with the atmosphere around it. Sounds kinda hokey, I know, but I genuinely want to believe that things like music and friends and general good mood lend something (if nothing but nostalgia) to the creation.

A big part of my life is heavy metal, so I tried it out with my last two beers: a ton of Mastodon, Slayer, Meshuggah, Gojira, and even Rage Against the Machine slipped in there. While I don’t want the beer pissed off I don’t want it to be aggressive and complicated. So there’s that.

When I’m with mixed company like I was for my first two beers I played a more eclectic mellow list: Florence and the Machine, The Avett Brothers, Devil Makes Three, The Decemberists, that sort of thing.

The playlist generally makes its way into my notes, too.

Great thread IMO. :smiley:

I listen to everything as well. I usually have the laptop outside with me. Music playing in the background with Beersmith/timers up and running in the foreground.

Mostly Peal Jam, Foo Fighters, and The Black Keys. Music is very important when brewing!!!

Usually no, I kind of enjoy a nice quiet brew session. But I have been known to blast some metal during my brew sessions.

<------I listen to them. Best band ever.

I listen to the local Public (kxtk 91.7) music station: combo of indy, alternative, old school rock, ocnl jazz, local music, and all sort of stuff you won’t hear on commercial radio. And best of all, no commercials…except of course when they have quarterly fund raisers. ;-(

link for those interested (unless you have your own of course):

:cheers:

[quote=“Shadetree”].
<------I listen to them. Best band ever.[/quote]

haha. Like we even had to ask.

And glad to see the black keys love on here. Been listening to them since the big come up. I do like their newer albums, but I miss the rawness from the early albums.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I listen to the local Public (kxtk 91.7) music station: combo of indy, alternative, old school rock, ocnl jazz, local music, and all sort of stuff you won’t hear on commercial radio. And best of all, no commercials…except of course when they have quarterly fund raisers. ;-(

link for those interested (unless you have your own of course):

:cheers: [/quote]

the only radio I listen to is NPR. all other times it is ipod. fund raiser time blows, but I really do get alot for a little.

Usually 80’s hair for me. But, I also like to throw in Offspring, Ozzy, Volbeat, Metallica (pre Black album), just to name a few. But, absolutely NO country music.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]I do like their newer albums, but I miss the rawness from the early albums.[/quote]Can you name one good band for which this isn’t true?

touche

I usually listen to either bluegrass( Charlie parr, trampled by turtles, pert near sandstone, spider john koerner). Sometimes I will listen to the white stripes, black keys, the tallest man in earth, POS or MN has a really good local station 89.3 the current which will play just about anything. There was one brew day where all day they played 90’s grunge, oh that brought me back to those great awkard teenage years…

We would totally get along. love the “new grass”. surprised to not see some leftover salmon on that list. Glad to see TBT getting more and more known. Need to make sure you add railroad earth on that list.

don’t hear people mention tallest man on earth. Damn he has some power in his voice.

And jack white can do no wrong imo. He is a god.

We would totally get along. love the “new grass”. surprised to not see some leftover salmon on that list. Glad to see TBT getting more and more known. Need to make sure you add railroad earth on that list.

don’t hear people mention tallest man on earth. Damn he has some power in his voice.

And jack white can do no wrong imo. He is a god.[/quote]

I will have to check out left over salmon, I have some railroad earth but am not too impressed with them. I may have to get a few of their other albums and listen to them more.

If you havent heard Charlie parr yet, check them out. He is the reason TBT is around.

[quote=“Shadetree”].
<------I listen to them. Best band ever.[/quote]

Going to see them, Slayer, and Anthrax on July 4th. B)

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]Going to see them, Slayer, and Anthrax on July 4th. B)[/quote]Take your kettle and make the best beer ever!