Do I really need 12 days for secondary fermentation time?

Trying my first ever attempt at wine making. I got a small batch kit for Xmas with the Cabernet Sauvignon Small Batch Wine Recipe Kit. Just finished the primary fermentation. At the beginning of that, my SG was 1.096. Throughout the 7 day period, I kept the fermentation temp controlled at 73-74 deg F. Now, before transferring to the secondary fermentation bottle my SG was at 0.994, which is lower than I had expected.

So my question is… given that SG, should I allow the secondary to go for the full 12 days as specified in the instructions? I ask because the instructions state that at the third (next) stage of degassing the SG should be 0.995 or less (which I’m already at when starting secondary ferm.).

Thanks for any feedback.

Yes, you need to wait. With all winemaking kits, always do the last thing, i.e., if it’s a choice between a gravity reading and a date, and the reading is low enough, wait until after the specified days. If it’s at the specified days and your gravity isn’t low enough, keep waiting until it is.

Yeast does more stuff than just ferment out sugar. It also produces ketones, esters and aldehydes during fermentation and then re-absorbs or converts them afterwards. If you rush it, you can leave your wine rough and green tasting forever.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the detailed reply Tim. Excellent points I hadn’t really thought through. And I like your “last thing” rule of thumb. I have 2 additional recipe kits on order, so will be interesting to see how the process goes for each.

BTW, I have learned so much from your videos. Thanks for all the great pointers.

no