Do I need to use Whirlfloc?

I found a great clone recipe for Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ in the new BYO Mag and it calls for a Whirlfloc tablet (actually 2). Do I really need to use it? I know its to help clear the beer. I’m not too concerned if its alittle cloudy. Is there anything else that it does? Thanks for the help!

Whirlfloc is a kettle clarifier. I use it on almost every batch. I don’t know what size the recipe was scaled for, but two tablets is enough for almost 40 gallons! :shock: If you are just doing 5 gal batches, one tablet is enough (if you can cut it in half, even better). If your choose not to use it at all, no sweat. Just may take a little more time to clear, or it may not clear completely.

I might add use a 1/2 tablet per 5 gallons per fightdman is correct. It’s recomended per the manufacture to add it 5 minutes before the end of the boil.

Whirlfoc makes a considerable difference. Use it.

If you need crystal clear beer right friggin now, then use the tablets.
If you are not worried about a little cloudy, or if you use a mug you cant see thru, or if you can wait a month before tapping, you can do with out the tablets.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will buy a bottle and see how it works. Will definitely only use a 1/2 tablet for a 5 gallon batch.

Whirlfloc results in a fluffy trub in the fermenter, while no whirlfloc leads to a denser trub. The non-whirlfloc trub gets kicked up a bit easier when moving fermenters and racking. Either way leads to a clear beer given a reasonable amount of time.

Here’s a side-by-side pic from a batch I did a couple of months ago. I forgot to add Whirlfloc to the batch on the left.

You don’t NEED to use anything like that. Personally, I’ve never used whirlfloc. I usually throw some irish moss in toward the end of the boil (for the same purpose), but sometimes I forget and the world doesn’t end. Do what ya want. :cheers:

Isn’t whirlfloc basically Irish moss pills? I’m with you though - it’s my most forgotten step.

Just remember - it’s better to use Whirlfloc if you’re AG brewing, use irish moss for extract. That’s what Palmer says at least.

I’d like to hear his reasoning. Doesn’t make sense to me.

I’d like to hear his reasoning. Doesn’t make sense to me.[/quote]

I believe it has something to do with better ability to measure. As many extract brewers do a partial boil, you can more accurately measure Irish moss for the boil volume as opposed to trying to crack a tab. Maybe that’s why? Now I wish I hadn’t left my copy at work.

I’d like to hear his reasoning. Doesn’t make sense to me.[/quote]

I believe it has something to do with better ability to measure. As many extract brewers do a partial boil, you can more accurately measure Irish moss for the boil volume as opposed to trying to crack a tab. Maybe that’s why? Now I wish I hadn’t left my copy at work.[/quote]

I hadn’t considered that. It’s about the only reason that makes sense.

Wow that stuff works great. I just pulled a sample to take a gravity reading and its crystal clear. I probably will continue to use it. I actually just did yesterday.

Right on. I have it, but half the time I forget to use it and it does not result in any clarity problems. It probably provides some benefit, but the beer seems to turn out just as good without it.