Displacement?

Why is it that when I put 5 gals of beer in a fermentor and add yeast and its done its business and there is yeast and other matter on the bottom of the carboy, there is still 5 gals? Would there be a weight displacement happening? Or does the yeast soak in some of the beer?

I think there’s volume displacement but it’s so small you can’t see it on the fermenter. The yeast is a slurry as well so the volume appears to be more than it really is. I now defer to the sciency people. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The additional yeast that develops is made up of the molecules you already have in your fermenter. You cannot create matter from nothing so there is no a substantial gain. If anything, I would imagine a small loss with the escape of all that carbon and oxygen in the form of CO2.

2 Likes

Well you will loose volume what you transfer to keg or bottles because you leave behind the trub this is why I target 5.5 gal to the fermenter.

1 Like

That is why I get around 4.5-4.75 gals. I see squeegeethree is saying and it makes senses, it is the visual that throws me off. WMNoob does make senses. Thank you guys!

1 Like