did i kill my yeast?

good. enjoy you quaint trip in home brewing.

Did you say put it in “sanitizer water” before pitching it? If not and there is no drop in gravity, then pitch a new pack. Good luck.

And you enjoy your qauint trip in being snide

Ynotbrusum. it was in a smack pack being sanitized. i am swinging by nb tomorrow bc the yeast are dead. thx for advice everyone.

Why did you put your yeast in 115 degree water?

Some very knowledgeable and helpful people have tried to help you here, yet you imply that there are better experts elsewhere because they told you how to solve this?

I have been on this forum for about 18 months and pretty much read every post. There are at least 10 per month JUST LIKE YOURS and in all that time I cannot recall but 1 or 2 involving actual dead yeast. Generally that occurred during a summer heat wave when yeast would sit in a delivery truck for several days.

Our honest and consistant advice is to wait at least 72 hours before doing anything. We did not suggest waiting 3 weeks to confirm fermentation. Sure you can panic and pitch more yeast. That will work, but I would bet money that the first fermentation you see is from the original yeast.

Not sure why you asked for advice when you obviously have no intention of taking it. As mentioned multiple times… lag time can be up to 72hrs. Not normally, but at or after 72hrs is when you want to think about pitching fresh yeast.

hell, son. it’s a life long journey.

hell, son. it’s a life long journey.[/quote]

+1 but we love the journey with you, and Nighthawk, I know i would be lost without the vast knowledge given to me by most people on this forum :cheers: Cheers

I do have to apologize for not reading and comprehending the OP’s 1st post. In light of the 115* soaking for 15-20 minutes, I might have suggested to get another pack of yeast right away.

The suggested hydration temp for dry yeast being 95-105*. I don’t know if 115* is going to kill them. Or maybe kill some of them, causing a longer lag time than normal.

Maybe one of the ‘science’ guys can do a little experiment and report back.

He said wyeast pack so he must be talking liquid yeast, no i dea why he would put it in 115 degree water? To the op i’d suggest listenign to these guys, From my first batch to now ive learned a lot on my own but have also gotta alot of help on here… you’ll learn but you have to listen. Better beer is a great motivator!

At this point it has been 72 houts. i have fnally gotten some signs of fermentation off of my original piych. i will see what happens tomorrow but i have alreasy bought some more yeast just in case. to anyone who has taken any of my posts negatively i apologize but i was looking for some more scientific responses to understand what was happening in my beer further. i did not feel like i was getting that so i went elsewhere looking for answers where i found some information. one bit of information stating that anything above 120f is capabpe of killing my yeast. i may have had a low cell count due to my extended sani soak and some serious lag. i hope that anyone reading can understand where i am coming from and that i am not trying to discrexit any reaponses or mKe enemies its just the answers i was seeking werent necessarily correlating with some of the responses.

I was looking for why and how and if, not wait and see.

Well, 120F is pretty warm for yeast, that was a bad idea. You probably did reduce your cell count dramatically. Get yourself some starsan, keep some (in dilute form of course) in a spray bottle, and spray down your yeast packet with that if you want to sanitize it before opening.

That being said, you were told to wait and see because that’s the best advice. Futzing around with things, particularly if you’re a newby and don’t have the experience to recognize what is and isn’t normal, almost always does more harm than good. Once yeast start reproducing (during which period they deplete the dissolved oxygen available in the wort) adding more yeast doesn’t really help much. If you attempted to re-aerate to promote yeast reproduction after fermentation was in progress, you would also promote oxidation and premature staling of the finished beer. This is also why restarting a “stuck” fermentation is very hard.

If, after 72 hours, truly nothing had happened, THEN it would be safe to re-aerate and pitch more yeast. Provided your sanitation was good, the extra time wouldn’t hurt anything.

Simply re-pitching with a new yeast pack will not hurt anything, either. What happens in the fermentation process is that the yeast metabolize what they need and keep repeating the process until the available fermentable sugars (mostly maltose) are gone. So, if you are simplying adding more yeast cells at that point, there is nothing that should go wrong - if those cells can metabolize the remaining available fermentable sugars, they can complete the fermentation. Everything about sanitation, aeration, oxidation said above needs to be considered if you are doing anything beyond dumping more yeast into the batch at this point.

Good luck and no hard feelings - it is frustrating when things are slow to start. From a taste perspective, underpitching usually creates an environment for more esters to be generated. Some beer styles are intentionally estery, others are intentionally ester-free. All are typically drinkable.

:cheers:

If you want to understand why and how, start making starters. Since I ferment is opaque buckets, I never really get to see fermentation happen. Starters is the way I have learned how the yeast actually operate. But more specifically, that they do not all take off “within 3 hours”. I have had started take almost 72 hours to take off with older harvested yeast or year old smack packs. But, if you allow time, they generally do take off.

solid advice.

[quote=“Nate42”][quote=“carbonzx”]
That being said, you were told to wait and see because that’s the best advice. Futzing around with things, particularly if you’re a newby and don’t have the experience to recognize what is and isn’t normal, almost always does more harm than good. [/quote][/quote]

I think I have learned more from my mistakes than anything.

This was entertaining if nothing else.

maybe we’re just not “the most experienced brewers”. we really should respond to every question in the most scientific ways possible just in case they are “a mechanical thinker”. back to the drawing board, ladies & gentlemen.