Delayed fermentation with wort in sealed keg

Hi. I’ve been reading on delaying adding yeast after the boil/cool down. I work a lot, so I was wondering how I might get some of my brewing done in more of a ‘stacked’ progression. Also, I have limited fermentation space. Most of what I’ve read says it’s not great to let it set because it could lead to bacteria and spoilage. But, I’ve got a number of corny kegs, so I was wondering how things would be if I CO2 purged the corny keg, added the wort and sealed it, and then topped it with a bit of CO2 for pressure. I understand there’s still more of a risk of spoilage, but wouldn’t this minimize it? And by the way, I am VERY particular about cleaning and sanitizing my area and equipment. Thanks for your thoughts.

Maintaining an anaerobic environment will help, but you’re still at risk as you’re simply not able to maintain a completely bacteria free environment. No matter how good your cleaning/sanitizing regime. Fact is fermented beer has Some anti-bacterial properties from the alcohol, lower pH, and hops. This is why it’s suggested to pitch a healthy population of yeast ASAP as they can out compete wild yeast. With that said, you could probably get away with a few days as long as you are particular about cleaning/sanitizing, keep it anaerobic, and then pitch a really healthy yeast population.
Edit:

1. what do you want to get out of ‘stacking?’ Help me understand what you have in mind
  2. if you have time to brew then your 90% through what you need to compete a beer, especially if you have kegs. 2, even 3, weeks in primary is fine. Transfer it to your keg for ‘secondary’ and your 99% there.
1 Like

We had this discussion in another post that i started. Instead of wort i was using apple juice. Even after purging it started fermentation. You need to thoroughly clean and disinfect not just sanitize. I’d bleach the keg and fittings if i did it again

1 Like

I have read some peeps brew, throw the semi cooled wort, sealed, into the fermenting chamber to cool over night and pitch ASAP… I’ve not read about delaying any longer… In fact… I would be afraid… for all that goes into getting the wort made… Really suck to spoil it…
Sneezles61

Don’t have a problem with letting it sit for a day to get to room temp and add yeast. May thought is why brew and do nothing to it?

Thank you for all the replies. My main reason for thinking along these lines is space. I have a single fermentation chamber, and space in a small keezer for one keg. So my thought was to brew as I wanted and put the wort in a slightly pressurize keg until space became available in the fermentation chamber. It was just a thought that doesn’t sound like a good way to go. I appreciate all the advice. Thank you!

1 Like

Look into what they call no chill brewing No-Chill Brewing | Craft Beer & Brewing I remember it being called the Australian method I think where they do just what you are thinking using a keg. I don’t think the idea is to store fresh wort more than the time it takes to cool it though.

Plan your brewing so you are making beer that ferment at the same temp. Also, you could make smaller (3-3.5gal) batches and ferment them in the keg so more would fit in your chamber. Just some ideas.

1 Like