Definitely not enhanced IMHO

Don’t care for the new format of the forum. Most certainly not an improvement. Why try to enhance something that was always great.

If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it!

5 Likes

I agree. I’ve been exploring and using the new site figuring that it would get easier and make more sense after doing so, but the more I’ve used it the less I like it.
The layout of the old format was much better.
Still curious as to why the decision was made to change things :confused:

1 Like

This has been bugging me since the new forum came online. Today I figured it out; the new forum is based on Discourse forum software. The appeal is obvious; the software is free. And I’m not being cynically sarcastic. Free is good. The more I use the forum, the more I see it isn’t horrendous. I still prefer the old, hands down, but maybe there is hope.

The old software was phpBB, which is also free. I wish someone from NB had posted right when the change happened and explained the reasoning for the switch.

For whatever reason, Discourse seems like less of a spam-magnet than phpBB is. Maybe it’s like Macs; there is just so much lower-hanging fruit out there the a-holes go after softer targets. Maybe even the spammers hate the UI…

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’m in love with it. I do think it looks better though. I don’t care for the layout. It was easier to view all the topics on the previous format.

Really easy to lose posts I feel. If it’s a really busy day the posts are pushed down the list so if someone doesn’t respond to you personally you wouldn’t know it. I can’t imagine what it would look like if it was a long running post and many people posted to it it would take the whole page to put up all the avatars. Maybe I’m not using if corectlly but you shouldn’t have to be a genius to use a web forum and I’m not one for sure.

You can click on the categories (general, mashing, kegging, etc) to see all the threads in that category.

In addition, you can change your ‘notifications’ to get notice that an individual either replied or even started a new topic.

Yikes! I haven’t been to the forum in a while but this update is horrible. And I see it’s been mentioned but so much of the old stuff is gone! I have 13 post total, ha.

Oh well. Beating a dead horse at this point I guess.

2 Likes

Yep, this pretty much blows. Adios, amigos. Over to AHA Forum for good.

2 Likes

They should have gone with Vbulletin. Nice easy layout and alot of plug ins. Many to block spammers. It is very customizable as well. I have used it for years. Free is good, but not always better. IMHO.

1 Like