Dead Ringer recipe

I had heard that dead ringer was supposed to be 2hearted. Never brewed it so can’t say but Bells shared their recipe with BYO and the use alot more dry hops which would make a difference

I didn’t care for that kit

I’m going to try the recipe in the magazine 2.5 more Oz’s of hops Les C malt. Also 2 base grains

1 Like

I brewed it many years ago. Was even less hoppy than 2H. Kinda meh… I feel like 2H has gotten more pedestrian over the last few years. Or maybe my taste has changed and I just need more hops… My all centennial is much more hoppy than 2H

I agree the 2-hearted I’ve had in bottles not that hoppy. Never really had it fresh. The recipe is calling for 6oz of centennial. What do you use?

10 gallon batch: Bittered with magnum, then 10,5 oz centennial. Drinking this one right now. It’s really good but I’d still like more aroma.

17 lbs 12.0 oz Briess 2 Row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 77.2 %
3 lbs 4.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.1 %
2 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
2.00 oz Centennial [10.40 %] - First Wort 20.0 m Hop 4 23.2 IBUs
1.25 oz German Magnum [14.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 29.9 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.50 oz Centennial [10.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [10.40 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 8 2.2 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [10.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 9 7.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 10 -
4.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

So that’s 10lbs of base malt and 1lb C40 and 5.5 oz of hops. The recipe I have from bells is 14.25 lbs of base 1/2 lb of C40 and 6oz of hops no magnum so the hops probably equal out and I’ll cut down on the base malt to get the .065 with my system. So pretty equal except the Vienna

1 Like

Yours looks to be around 72ibu in my head the bells is 60 that may be the difference.

1 Like

I get from Dannyboy recipe 1.063… at 80% efficiency. And Brew cat the one you post is at 1.082 at 80% efficiency…
I wonder if theres a paradigm here… I wonder why so many peeps like Sam Adams… to me, it is very uneventful to have such a cult following… And you guys question wonder, perhaps, the same question about Bells 2H… I’m going back to the time/distance away from the brewery… A local watering hole down trail always has it on tap… Its quite good! Sometimes, even the first couple of pints have hop trub in them! I will agree that its not as hoppy as some, but it is way up on the top of my fav’s… Sneezles61

1 Like

I got 1.062 OG and FG of 1.006 on the last batch for 7.4abv and 68 IBU. Yea @brew_cat I think Bells says 2H is around 60.

I agree @sneezles61. It’s usually the best beer on tap when available in your average “non-craft beer” bar/restraurant.

Thats right in the ball park for 2H… Says 7% on the bottle… Sneezles61

Yeah that’s why I need to tweak it for my system I think I read that on BYO most of the recipe are based on 70%. The only 2H u get around here are bottles sad.

1 Like

Me sort of adapted the recipy. Now much more happy. It leans now more to a coastal evacuation clone

Yeah, got that issue and it’s on the schedule for spring, I’m pretty pumped to see how close I can get as Bell’s is pretty well available locally so I can do an easy side by side comparison. I’ve never tried the Dead Ringer kit AG, just did it extract in 2015 according to my logs. . .I should change that here soon. I know Flars loved Dead Ringer and kept it in pretty regular rotation so it must be pretty solid. Man I miss him, cheers to Flars, I raise my glass in his honor.

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

HERE HERE ^^^ Betwixt that and his amber and some moose drools’ … I trust him the the big guy, God, may be … hanging about! Sneezles61

Only ever bread one kit and it was extrat moose drooling and it was meh. That was the last kit and last extract for me. I looked at the dead ringer recipe and it looked weak so I never brewed it so I can’t really say. But comparing recipes to the Bells recipe I can’t see how they can be that close but I don’t know. It may be similar to the older bottles we get around here. Which by the way is a fine beer it just can’t see it deserves the hype. So I’m gonna try bells recipe until I can get some of the fresh stuff.

1 Like

Well lemme telya this recipe came out much better than the 2h bottles I’ve had. Now I see why it’s so popular. Can’t imagine the dead ringer hits this mark with less hops. I’m thinking maybe a bit more if anything

1 Like

This is where my centennial IPA started…it “evolved” of course and part of that evolution was an increase in hops and IBU.

What did you brew? The BYO recipe?

Yes the BYO recipe. Bells was interviewed and gave them the recipe so I figure it’s acurate