Dare I All-Grain or stick with Extract?

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on NB’s forum. So forgive me if you’ve seen this question a million time. But I’m considering switching to all-grain brewing. I have about 20-30 batches of extract brews under my belt.
I was wondering on any pro’s and con’s you may have for me.

Thank you for your time!

The only thng I’ll tell you is that it’s a lot easier than you think it is. When I started AG, I’d read about it but never seen it. No problems. When I teach people to brew AG, it always ends with them saying “Is that all there is to it?”.

Denny’s right,when I switched I thought,why in the heck didn’t I do this sooner.

AG brewing makes it enjoyable to be out in the freezing cold temperatures during the winter.

+1 on Denny. I started brewing with a Mr. Beer kit. Once the kits were gone I dove straight into AG, so other than the MB I never really did extract. True, the extract brew day is shorter, but it almost seems like extract brewing is more complicated than AG, at least when you get into the various partial mash and steeping techniques… but like I said, I never got too far into the world of extract.

There is nothing wrong with extract brewing, so don’t feel like you need to move to AG because what you do now is inferior in some way. But for me, the end-to-end AG process feels more fulfilling. I like the opportunity to have control of every variable in the process. It gives you more tools to control the final product–for example, you can increase or decrease mash temp to affect body and fermentability. Pretty cool.

6 degrees and I agrees

I brewed with extract twice. Once with DME and once with LME. All grain was a different challenge but really easier in some ways. The reconstituting of DME and the scorching and boil over potential was a hassle. All grain has lots of spent grains to feed to your composting worms. They will thank you.

As to system, my personal advice if you can afford it is to go gravity. If you can afford it and have a place to set this up, cinder blocks work great. Cheap, stackable, weather resistant, fire resistant, can be moved around or taken down later. Can place propane burner directly on them and stack bricks around to screen wind and retain heat. Best is Hot Liquor tank with a separate mash tun and boil kettle in a three step gravity drop. But to start just two maybe. Boil your water in what will be the brew kettle and dump into the mash tun. Get one of those strainers in the mash tun get a valve and thermometer. The barbed connection and a 6 ft length of silicone tubing to transfer the mash runnings to your boil kettle. Use the same type flex stainless steel braided 18" strainers at the bottom of the brew kettle. Use that same silicone tubing from the boil kettle barbed fitting right into your carboy.

Anyway lots of detail hope it made sense. I like the barley crusher with the big 14# hopper for grinding attach a portable drill and away you go.

Cheers!

Depends on what part of the process you enjoy the most. If it is the drinking and not the production then extract is a bit quicker and less clean up. If you enjoy the whole brewing process the go all grain you get to have more fun and time with your beer.

If it is both go all grain and win double.

Between myself and a few friend, we did over 100 extract batches in 2 years. As of 3 month ago I decided to take the plunge. I wish I’d have done it long ago. I love the brew day and I find AG to be more fun. There is some more thinking but and a few challenges but so long as you understand that concepts it’s easy. We do extract on occasion now…if we just want to get one done quick, or well do 1 AG and 1 extract staggered.

With as many batches as you’ve done, I’d bet that you have the process down and want to try something new.

1 suggestion, buy you base malt in bulk. You’ll save a ton of $$

There are many great beers that can be made with extracts. But the combinations of malts you can mill and mash, is like counting the stars. Endless! It’s well worth the extra time it takes, and it’s not hard at all. I say"GO FOR IT"! Nothin’ to lose.

Redwood Ale
 Orange PA

6 degrees and I agrees
[/quote]
Makes me appreciate being a garage brewer. Even with two fans running my garage is very tolerable to brew in on cold days.

Your ready to go AG if you can put in about 5 (including set up and clean up) hours into a brew day and would enjoy the extra time with your wort.

Go for it!

6 degrees and I agrees
[/quote]
Makes me appreciate being a garage brewer. Even with two fans running my garage is very tolerable to brew in on cold days.[/quote]

Dude, it was 10 degrees in the garage, where I actually did the boil.

But I still love shooting off a quick extract batch. No need to limit to one or the other. Enjoy !

I do BIAB, so the biggest downside of AG to me is the time. AG just plain takes longer. If you like being able to quickly rip off a batch of beer extract is the way to go. If you have the time there is nothing like AG. Either way the important thing is to brew.

Try doing a partial mash. Then when you’re done just think “Ok, so all grain is the same thing. I just use more grain and no extract”.

Go for it! It’s not hard and gives you WAY more control over your final product.
:cheers:

It’s true AG takes longer, but there are a lot of little stretches of downtime, such as during the mash, and I’ve increasingly optimized this time to clean up from the last brew activity, prepare for the next one, take care of extra-brewing activities (make/clean up lunch for the family, read some homework, etc). Of course, it took a few batches of running around like a chicken with its head cut off before I was able to refine the process and use downtime in a relaxed way :wink: .

Anyway, I did 4 batches of extract before switching to AG, and I’ve never looked back.

[quote=“ickyfoot”]It’s true AG takes longer, but there are a lot of little stretches of downtime, such as during the mash, and I’ve increasingly optimized this time to clean up from the last brew activity, prepare for the next one, take care of extra-brewing activities (make/clean up lunch for the family, read some homework, etc). Of course, it took a few batches of running around like a chicken with its head cut off before I was able to refine the process and use downtime in a relaxed way :wink: .

Anyway, I did 4 batches of extract before switching to AG, and I’ve never looked back.[/quote]

This couldn’t be more true. I use the time while my sparge water heats to weigh out hops and get all my additives, equipment, etc lined up and ready to go. I then use the 60min mash to take care of things around the house or play with my son. Then while boiling, I can clean up from the mash. And again, while cooling, I clean up from the boil. If I use my time effectively, I can get my brew day down to about 4hrs or so.

I think you get better beer with all grain. I’ve brewed and tasted some really good extract brews, however a really good all grain brew is much better than a really good extract brew.

My biggest stumbling block was equipment. Being able to do full boils and storing the mash tun. Once I committed myself, it was not a problem.

Once you go all grain, your next step will be kegging.

The only downside to AG is more time but I enjoy the time spent so that’s irrelevant to me. Cheaper ingredients (esp in bulk), more control over final product. AG won’t make your beer better if you have issues with sanitation, pitching rates, ferm temp control etc. There is more potential to spend much more on gear but it’s a hobby so I’m not keeping track. I just tell the wifey I’m saving money in the (really) long run… :wink: