Crushing my first grain

What type of mash do you guys use ?

Congrats on the first crush! Sounds like you have it dialed in.

Batch sparge, no mashout.

Ya I need a larger brew kettle and a false bottom to do a good 5 gal biab. I think my first biab I may have screwed up a bit and let the bottom of the grain bag get too warm when adding heat. It was my Irish red ale that I could not get the fg below 1.020 even after pitching more yeast. Still turned out to be good tasting low abv beer but it made me a bit gun-shy on biab.

Thanks, one down anyway! :grin:

There is some other mystery that caused a high FG… Perhaps even some big dough balls… My process is quite consistently 80%+… I’m happy, pappy! :grin: Sneezles61

Dough balls are bad! And sneaky too! Spelunking deep in my BIAB bags on the stove searching for doughballs :favorite pastime :joy:
Now when I was a kid trying to catch lunker Catfish or Carp, doughballs were good!

2 Likes

I never even checked nor thought about dough balls when doing my BIAB “tries”. I think I need to study that process more before trying again and make a list of things to check.

The reason BIAB or MIAB gets higher extraction is you can crush tighter. I get 80%+ set at .025 at .030 which was my setting when using a tun and my first couple bag mashes I got in the about 70%+. Not a big deal I calculated I save about a sack of grain a year

1 Like

Me hit about 75% consistent. Seems to work. Not to thin beer nice

I’ve never noticed any difference in my beer from greater efficiency. I prefer to use less grain saves money and time running to the brew store.

1 Like

Brewed Friday and hit 76%. Two in a row! I think we found the issue.