Creating seal

ok have been reading lots about big mouth bubbler .me i use them when my other alloys are full .but dont know why i dont get a good seal. got a krausen going on and abv drops means there is fermenting going on but no avtivity in air lock at all. one week i create a perfect seal other time not ??? so solution gonna stop using the big mouth bubblers and only glass alloys my partner and i made the choice

Sealing is not an issue but you can alway run some tape or Saran around the lid. I’m not a fan of glass.

1 Like

I use keg lube around mine doesn’t take much and works every time.

2 Likes

must say plastic easy to handle but i love the glass carboys bit harder to clean .but always perfect seal

will try this got christolub at work see if this works

as long as it’s food grade.

yes it is we use it for scuba dive equipment
and oxygen o rings

I use to have that once in a while also…now I Just use two gaskets and never had a problem since.

think mine never came with gaskets

I have this style lid…

might be a idea to make one my self

If you have a big mouth bubbler in plastic you can’t use that type of seal. It’s only for glass.

I’ve used 2 sheets of sanitized Saran Wrap with good results. Got that tip here on this forum. One sheet over the mouth of the plastic BMB, place the lid on and place another sheet, then screw on the blue ring(mine is blue) carefully until snug. Perforate both pieces of plastic wrap and place in air lock. Done.

1 Like

I used my plastic big mouth bubbler twice. It was free so I tried it to see how it compared to glass.
For the second use I created a seal with a styrofoam plate. Press the lid down on a styrofoam plate, cut on the inside of the depression formed by the lid, and snap into the lid. Single use seal since styrofoam cannot be sanitized.

I prefer glass. Glass doesn’t flex.

Same method I use for reusing plastic peanut butter containers for storage of bulk spice purchases.

1 Like