Corn sugar amounts

Bottling my first all grain one gallon sample batches. They are New England IPAs DDH with an ABV ranges between 6 & 8…any suggestions on sugar amounts to carbonate?

I’m not a whiz at finding stuff on here, but, there are conversations about using domino sugar cubes for priming each bottle… If you look and have the time… you’ll find it. Sneezles61

I would carbonate a beer like that to 2.6 volumes. Not over the top but enough for a good head to bring out the aroma.
I use this calculator to help with sugar amounts. I’m dissolving the sugar in a couple cups of water and adding to the bottling bucket for 5 gallons of beer. Never bottled smaller amounts so no experience adding sugar to each bottle.

A Domino Dot sugar cube in a 12 ounce bottle will yield about 2.4 volumes of CO2. The “Dots” are 198 pieces to the pound. The larger standard cube will not fit through the mouth of a bottle.

2 Likes

Thanks I never knew about that calculator! Can you explain what the volumes mean?

2 tablespoons per gallon. But that’s exactly a gallon. If you actually have 3 quarts of bottleable beer, then 2 tablespoons is way too much and bottles might go boom.

I can’t give you a scientific explanation if there is really one for what a “volume” is. To me it is why a foot, or 12 inches, is the length it is. It is said to be that length because that was how long a (don’t know name) certain Kings foot was. (Might be a total myth.)

I’ll refer you to this document. To me though a stout carbonated at 2.0 or less pours hardly any head. I like an American ale at 2.5 to 2.7. A really fizzy beer like a Hefeweizen at 3.0 to 3.2.

Volume is a ratio. It indicates the amount of space the CO2 would take up at “standard temperature and pressure” (in the atmosphere at 32 degrees F) relative to the amount of space the beer takes up. For example, if all of the CO2 dissolved in 5 gallons of beer carbonated to 3.0 volumes were given enough time to bubble out and escape into the atmosphere on a cold day, it would take up 15 gallons of space.

1 Like

Only thing I’d add, is that STP is …in the atmosphere at sea level at 32F.

1 Like

The host has a conversion table I use it all the time I bottled.

Standard atmosphere is 15°C, 59°F.