Controlling Fermentation

I’m an extract/grains brewer with about 40 batches under my belt (with 1 throw away batch thus far). With my schedule demands and others interests in mind, I usually ferment for about 3 weeks and then bottle condition. My question as summer approaches is this: For how many days is it vital to keep my fermenting temp in the best ranges? I’m sure the whole 3 weeks would be best, but sometimes that’s not possible. Thanks!

The whole 3 weeks is absolutely not necessary and won’t improve the beer at all. For best results try to keep it at the low end of the yeast’s temp range for the first 3-4 days of active fermentation. Then you can let it rise. Allowing it to rize 6-8 degrees at this point is actually beneficial and is called a D (diacetyl) rest.

1 Like

Is this true for both ales and lager?

Yes I treat lagers the same way. Just lower temps.

1 Like

Not so fast! Although I agree I would hold those lager temps for at LEAST five days, more likely 7 before allowing it to raise. Due to the lower temps the yeast is a little slower meaning that off flavors can develop a little later than most ale yeast. This is evidenced by watching the actual fermentation. It’s not nearly as ‘violent.’

1 Like

You’re right! I do the same. Should’ve mentioned that.

I’ve only done a few lagers,but what caused me to raise my final temp was by taking a sample and check its gravity…. I saw I was very close to what I thought was the FG, then I raised my temp. So, you whom brew a lot of lagers only use days as guide? Sneezles61

I ferment all my lagers 2 weeks cold 1 week room temp. Then down to lager temp over a couple days to cold crash then keg and back to lager for maybe a month. Ales are more forgiving, I only worry the temp for the first week

1 Like

I watch the kreusen. When it’s beginning to drop I let the temp rise.

1 Like