Conical Fermenter, HOW MUCH!

under $12.00
2 car boys $00.00. (thanks poland springs)
1 spigot, had it
1 ball vavle, $6.00
1 hose bib, Had it
1 3/4 pvc female fitting $1.00
1 devcon epoxy, $4.00
1 bar stool, found on bulk day.

pictures tell a thousand tales.

Need more pics…not seeing it…only partial shots. :frowning:

got a link to the pics elsewhere?

:cheers:

Problem must be on your end, i can read both our post perfectly and pics are clear…

Hmmm, that’s a nice little set up. The only thing I would be worried about is cleaning all that plastic. You’d have to be real anal about it while at the same time not scratching anything. How did you fit those two together? And have you used it yet?

I am a lil more than anal about a lot of stuff, Being both an engineer and a car freak, (active racer)
I steam clean everything!
a good eye balling revaels where to cut the bottom of one and the top of the other to get a male/female fit. 15 min epoxy brushe on both pieces and pop there one piece, HINT! do ya drains BEFORE gluing them together, put the main drain first, fill with one quart of water and mark ya wort line, ose a step drill so ya dont tear up the jug, works like a charm…

Next I’ll show how to convert stainless fire extinguishers to 2.5 gal kegs for under $20.00
most MUNI;s are now outlawing water ext, due to our craving for electronics , at least here in NYC,
you can get mint units for $5 at swap meets…

[quote=“FANTASY FACTORY”]I am a lil more than anal about a lot of stuff, Being both an engineer and a car freak, (active racer)
I steam clean everything!
a good eye balling revaels where to cut the bottom of one and the top of the other to get a male/female fit. 15 min epoxy brushe on both pieces… [/quote]

Interesting and clever idea. Cleaning the union of the two bottles will be important with all the crevices don’t you think? I’m curious what 15 minute epoxy is food grade and how it will stand up to a thorough steam clean. Please tell.

Have you used it yet? Post Pics of the yeast cake that builds up and what it looks like after being dumped.

Brew On :cheers:

I use a lot of epoxy in the artworks I produce (and it is Devcon epoxy, to be specific). It’s most definitely not food grade (the hardener in epoxy mix may even be toxic…need to check on that…), so I would worry (or at least be concerned) about using epoxy for something like this.
I think a food-grade silicone adhesive might possibly be a better idea. The epoxy could also soften and give out if exposed to extreme heat, especially a steam clean (which is the time of cleaning one would need taking into consideration the ‘join’ of the two plastic carboys.

This setup is definitely a clever idea though…with a few tweaks, I’d be tempted to try it myself.

What kind of recycle code does your Poland Spring water jugs have?

[quote=“The Professor”]I use a lot of epoxy in the artworks I produce (and it is Devcon epoxy, to be specific). It’s most definitely not food grade (the hardener in epoxy mix may even be toxic…need to check on that…), so I would worry (or at least be concerned) about using epoxy for something like this.[/quote]According to the MSDS it’s BPA, so it definitely should not be used on anything that’s in contact with a consumable.

let me clarify a few things.

1 - I used the trade name DEVCON the same way people use Kleenex,
the epoxy i use on MY day job is 100%FDA approved,

Epoxy for Food-Processing Applications

Designed for use with food-processing and packaging equipment and biomedical instruments. This two-part adhesive resists water, weather, petroleum solvents, lubricants, mild acids and alkalies, and other organic and inorganic compounds. Bonds aluminum, stainless steel, steel, polycarbonate, vinyl, ceramic, fiberglass (FRP), and glass. Begins to harden in 2 hours; reaches full strength in 18 hours. Temp. range is -103° to +293° F. Mix ratio is 2:1. Color is amber. Developed in accordance with Title 21 U.S. Code of Fed. Reg., FDA Chapter 1, Sub B Sec. 175.105 and 175.300. These products are compliant under all state VOC rules in effect on October 1, 2008.

Note: Size refers to the combined amount of resin and hardener.

2 - I havea spherical drum attachment to clean my car boys and kegs, I dont go to the extreme of melting down or venting the plastics.

3 - Poland Spring left 50 empty jugs behind when they lost the account, I AM recycling them by NOT tossing them into the compactor.

once the shop is buffed and reorganised, i will be more than happy to post pics of us in operation.
currently my 27 roadster is occupying most of the floor space.

[quote=“FANTASY FACTORY”]the epoxy i use on MY day job is 100%FDA approved, [/quote]A safer option than the 15-min Devcon you specified in your first couple of posts! :wink:

Most definitely.
Not all epoxies are the same and just from the smell the Devcon throws off while curing, I wouldn’t let it anywhere near food or beverage use.
I’m glad that Fantasy Factory clarified the epoxy question.

I’d be interested in obtaining some of that food-grade epoxy. What’s the brand name and where can it be had?

Something similar was tried as a commercial product years back and failed miserably. The carboy top doesn’t have enough slope to work properly for yeast dumping.

I cant speak on the slope issue using all grain recipes, but i am doing fine with extract/specialty grain kits.

[quote=“FANTASY FACTORY”]I cant speak on the slope issue using all grain recipes, but i am doing fine with extract/specialty grain kits.[/quote]From what I’ve read (and seen when cleaning Better Bottles), the slope on the carboys isn’t steep enough to move the trub into the neck for easy removal, which is one of the selling points for conicals. Are you seeing the trub move to the neck or is it just plating out on the slopes?

I was looking at that, a few years ago I was all excited to get a Blichmann conical and remember reading a user comment that sometimes gentle taps with a soft mallet on the conical portion was needed to help the sediment along. That didn’t stop me from getting one, something about a kid needing braces was the culprit. Ends up I still really like my beer without one. :lol:

FF, On next batch please take some pics.

VK

The quality of those water tanks isn’t suitable for fermenting. It’ll leach chemicals into the beer and ruin the flavor. Do a search and you’ll see why… sorry.