Collecting yeast

When is the best time to collect yeast from my primary.

When you rack the beer off the yeast cake.

Unless you have a conical and want some active yeast to pitch to another batch. I guess you could drain some from your bucket if it has a spigot. Its what the big boys do I believe. Always wanted to try it but my timeing was never right.

Also heard at full kruasen works good too, need to be in a bucket to be able to scoop/crop from the top… I usually grow BEFORE I pitch, as then its clean… Sneezles61

I top crop from my carboys it’s simple to do. What you need is two carboy caps, one racking cane cut in half little hose and a 2000 my flask. Take the curved end put in the carboy with cap and other cap on the flask with other end of racking cane. The co2 will push the yeast right into the flask.

1 Like

Always amazed how much harder people with carboys have to work. I love the simplicity of a bucket and spoon

It’s not really that much harder. There is some advantages to my way. One don’t have a open fermenter with a large hole to let bugs in only the little hole in carboy. Two the co2 pushing the yeast into the flask and no worry about exposure there and blanket in co2.

I just like how other peeps come up with a simple solution to an otherwise stubborn problem… Sneezles61

Thanks for all recommendations. Since reviewing them all have used sterile mason jar and scooped off top of primary cake and its the yeast that keeps giving 7 days in primary at 69 degrees and still producing wow white labs your the bomb