cold crash question

Well im getting ready for vacation and trying to take as mutch homebrew with me as possible.My problem is that ive had caribou slobber in primary for close to 2 weeks and it seems to be done but the yeast cake that was on top is still dropping and im in a rush to rack it to secondary.I broke my hydromiter yesterday so idk what the gravity is so now im wondering if i can cold crash it in my fridge in primary then rack it to secondary.Another bit of info is that i useually cold crash my secondary b4 bottleing to clarify it so if i do this the beer will get cold crashed 2 times and i bottle so idk if this will drop out too mutch yeast to carb my bottles or am i going to b ok.
Thanks for any advice in advance.You guys and gals rock :cheers:

where are you going on vacation?

you can leave it in the primary - at fermentation temperature until you want to bottle it. then cold crash it a day or two before you bottle it. A secondary is unnecessary for caribou slobber

going to avon nc. got a rental for a week
Better known around here as obx

Thanks for the info.I don’t usually rush things but i need my pirmary to get another brew started in time to take both with me.I really should start buying more 6 gal fermenters but i have no room for them. Definitely need a new hydrometer.First 1 i broke and it happened so easily right in my hand.

Thanks for the info.I don’t usually rush things but i need my pirmary to get another brew started in time to take both with me.I really should start buying more 6 gal fermenters but i have no room for them. Definitely need a new hydrometer.First 1 i broke and it happened so easily right in my hand.[/quote]

yeah, i’ve broken way too many hydrometers. those things are too slippery and flimsy. What do you use for a secondary?

yeah, i’ve broken way too many hydrometers. those things are too slippery and flimsy. What do you use for a secondary?[/quote]

My secondary is a 5 gal glass carboy.I thought it was a good idea to have when i bought it but now i think im going to stick with 6 gal carboys or 6.5 gal when i get more in the future so i can use them as primary or secondary.idk but i dont think the extra head space will affect anything if i use them as secondary.

I like the 5 gallon for secondary. I fill it up to the neck to keep air to a minimum.