Cob corn for supper

Had some of the corn on the cob out of the freezer tonight. Out of the 32 packages might still have 20 left. Forgot about last nights left over chili. Would have filled up the bun with that too small of a hot dog.

That bun could’ve used a wild rice brat dog… Looks like a very nice summer supper! Sneezles61

We always look forward to fresh picked corn. There is a guy with a “hobby farm” about a mile away from our northern home (Florida corn sucks) that is out of this world. The only problem is when it’s ready that means summer is almost over.

We prefer corn on the cob. Fun to eat and flavor lasts better than when cutting the kernels for processing. I tried the freezing of whole cobs for the first time last year. It worked well. Fresh from the garden is the best though. Problem is having to become a corn glutton. Only about three weeks of best eating time from the garden.

We have been cutting the kernels off the cob then freezing in Zip Locs. Nice to have some good corn in the winter.

As this is a brewing blog,
Which beer did you drink?

1 Like

Had a Chinook IPA to get through the long and difficult serving preparations.

3 Likes

Corn on the cob, still in the husk(after desilking), grilled on the old Weber charcoal grill is a favorite here…yep Florida corn is a bit wanting compared to Ohio Sweet corn, or bottomland farmed corn from SE Ohio, but it is available months earlier than the Yankee stuff.

1 Like

We take the silk off the end then microwave it in the husk for a couple of minutes. When done cut the stalk end off, grab the tassel end with a dish cloth and shake. Most of the time you can get the corn to fall right out.

EDIT: this is making me hungry.

1 Like

I might have to try this.

I’ve seen cooking shows where the cob is slathered with mayonnaise and then grilled. Anyone try that.

I’ve grilled some corn and turned out pretty good. Wife didn’t care for it though. Went back to hot water or steam for preparation.

Flars, don’t you still have snow on the ground? :joy: I typically don’t think about corn on the cob until June around here as it’s not available. I know my wife’s family has a fantastic sweet corn farm out in Eastern PA and they flash freeze dozens of ears worth of corn to last them through the winter. They cut theirs off the cob and freeze them in dinner sized portions in ziplock bags.

:beers:
Rad

It was about 15 years ago I tried grilling corn. Not this week. Yes, the deck was almost clear but now has about 12 inches of snow on it. Might clear off this coming week end.

Oh Flars I beg to differ… Theyre talking another round of snow! IF the models are right… We’ll get 20"… I trust they’re wrong… Whats this like… January’s 93rd day? :smirk: Sneezles61

Another blast from the past!!
Wife bought some corn on the cob… So, I’ll do as Flars did… Peel, blanch and freeze many servings… Thank you Flars!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

You necro’ed a 2 year old thread! We need to watch you closely. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I keep looking for corn, not available around here yet sadly outside of the grocery store and that stuff is just not the same as good farm raised local.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Please don’t lock the buttons !!! :weary: I put one cob in the microwave… 2 minutes… Took it out… peeled it… A touch of butter and poured on the black pepper… Absolute delish!!!
Sneezles61

Been eating some the last 3 days but alas I am out. If I can figure out how to get out of this hammock I’ll go to the farm stand

1 Like

Almost time for our local farm stand to have corn and it is always wonderful. Don’t like to rush it because it kind of signals summer is running out. His naters are really good too.

Well I headed to the farm stand but he wasn’t around. Ordered softshell crab takeout. The softshells have been in season but apparently they didn’t harvest them while the resteraunts were closed so the have been hard to get