CO2 tank in or out

What are the pros and cons of keeping the co2 tank in the kegerator or keezer. Obviously space is a prime consideration . Is that the only thing? Does cold gas carbonate more or less the same as room temp? Any other factors?

No benefit of keeping CO2 tank inside other than aesthetics. Carbonating is a function of pressure and temp of the beer, not CO2. The only factor is finding a way to get the CO2 line inside to the kegs. This is usually why the tank is inside.

1 Like

One other benefit to outside is they don’t get all grody.

Me leave my co2 tank outside the kegurator. Did drill hole for the co2 hose. To my manifold

Mine is outside… You can adjust it too… I pour mine with a little bit more pressure… I appreciate a nice foamy head on the brew… Sneezles61

As previous replies indicate, it works either way. Another advantage of outside is that its easier to weigh the tank to see how much CO2 you have left. The high pressure gauge does not indicate CO2 remaining. You can use a high pressure hose from the tank to regulator(s) inside to improve appearance. Make sure you get a hose rated for that purpose if you go that route.

1 Like

If you have two gauges, the high pressure gauge that gives you and idea of how much gas is left will read low if the tank is cold. Other than that, what ever works better.

will the regulated gauge also read low if tank is in the keezer??

Yes
Sneezles61

then how do you know what pressure you are really using to carbonate or serve??

On the low pressure side… There are springs with known compression values… One the high side, there is a known amount of very cold CO2, in compression, as there becomes room, it does convert to gas… Which in turn is pushed out the open valve… When the tank is in a cold environment… It doesn’t gas off as quickly as if it were in a warm room… Help?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yep, yep, I follow you. Thank you!
Ok, let me ask you another one: If I CAN fit all my stuff (kegs, CO2 tank, etc.) in my keezer without adding a collar to raise the height of the lid, do you see any issues with just popping open the lid, grabbing a picnic tap, and filling my mug when I need a beer, then closing it? My thinking is it may cause too much air exchange and make the unit cycle more. Thoughts?

The alternative, obviously, would be building a collar on it so I can run taps through and leave the lid closed. (I’m just starting up with kegging, and trying to get a simple setup going to quickly get my stout in kegs that isn’t carbonating well in the bottles…)

That’s how I did this for a few years… Actually started in a fridge… Then into a keezer… Then altered the top either a collar… I’m guessing… A 4 year span… and no problems…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I have a lagering fridge that I use a picnic tap on when I have no space in my bar kegerator. I’ve had it for 10+ years doing that exact same method…

1 Like

I have a keezer with everything inside including picnic taps and that’s my MO as well.

1 Like

My tank now lives outside the keezer…
Sneezles61

Once we get our house built, and I get more room in the basement and my brew cave grows, I can see myself kegging more and getting a larger gas tank and keeping it outside the keezer also.

1 Like