Clueless about tri-clamp connections

I purchased a nice kettle pictured below and it came with the 3/4" ball valve and barb. You cannot see it here, but there are 3 more ports and one of them is nice and low. This is setup with the tri-clamp connections and I do not know much about them.

I think I have the ball valve and barb connected correctly.

I want to get a thermometer and the Blichmann Brewmometer looks really cool. My question is what type to I get and how do I connect it? I know that I will need to purchase another tri-clamp for this port.

Looks pretty sweet! Unfortunately, I too am clueless about these things…

Eh?

If you have other ports, purchase a Blichmann 1/2" NPT thermometer and a 1/2" NPT female thread to 1.5" tri clamp adapter and just use that to mount the thermometer.

Our host doesn’t sell triclamp gear, but take a look at Brewer’s Hardware. I buy a lot of this stuff from them for my setup which is 100% tri clamp now.

What kettle is that, and where did you purchase it from?

Nice! Ditto on the where’d you get it from?

Looks like it might be from Stout Tanks.

I picked it up from Ebay - here is another auction for another one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-GALLON-KETTL … 337ea7594f

[quote=“Dean Palmer”]If you have other ports, purchase a Blichmann 1/2" NPT thermometer and a 1/2" NPT female thread to 1.5" tri clamp adapter and just use that to mount the thermometer.

Our host doesn’t sell triclamp gear, but take a look at Brewer’s Hardware. I buy a lot of this stuff from them for my setup which is 100% tri clamp now.[/quote]

How do I get a thermometer for this? What do I look for in a thermometer that I can clamp onto the kettle with the tri clamps?

If your kettle already has the tri-clamp ports, get a thermometer with a longer probe such as http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew … meter.html

then mount this in a tri-clamp to 1/2"FNPT coupler that fits your kettle. You want the longer probe to reach all the way into the kettle.

For those without tri clamp ports specific to the thermometer a Blichmann weldless is the best.

Hello, I can help any of the people on this thread with tri-clamp fitting questions. A tri-clamp connection requires two flange/ferrule ends with a gasket in the middle and a clamp to create a leak-proof seal.

Gaskets come in a variety of materials but if you are using this for brewing equipment Buna is the cheapest and will work for your needs just fine. There are multiple styles of clamps but again most brewers will be just fine selecting a single pin heavy duty clamp.

If you need help measuring your tri-clamp fittings the following has a sizing chart and video demonstration for measuring tri-clamp fittings.

Thanks. Resurrecting a six year old thread…I think they may have figured it out by now.

Excuse me for bing a little smart assed.

Ha! No reason to apologize whatsoever, Rburrelli! The world has questions about tri-clamp fittings it’s my job to answer them. I usually field a couple of questions a week from customers new to the industry looking for answers regarding tri-clamp fittings. One of the most pressing is how to properly measure tri-clamp fittings. It’s one of the most common reasons for product returns in this line of business and the reason that I produced a video and in-depth page to answer this question.

Hi,

I see this is an old thread, but I have used a couple of tri-clamp connections in the past that worked really well. A single hinge clamp would be a good fit with your equipment and project. I generally try to use clamps with 304stainless steel or other types of durable materials.

I hope this helped!

Ryan Hanson