Climate change and brewing

I live in an apartment and I have no A/C. I prefer it that way even though it can get pretty hot in here during the summer. So after a certain point I just don’t brew until temps once again get down to less than 75.

This year has already been warmer than last year. Last year I took advantage of some rainy cold days to brew even into May. Here it is April this year and the apartment has already seen temps over 75 in the evening. Not by much and I can usually get them back down by opening up a couple of windows later on in the evening. Last year I also started exclusively using Coopers yeast because it does seem to be more heat resistant as far as any bad effects. This year I have been using Bulldog B4 with good results.

Just wanted to share. I know there are some things you can do to keep on brewing in higher temps but this year I am hoping that my friend with a basement takes up the hobby so we can brew at his house. Also we are looking into getting an electric system. I do have a ton of hops in the freezer so I am ready to go.

Is the Bulldog the same as Fermentis S-04? I got ten packs of it for a good price so I have been using it exclusively this year as my brews are mainly English ales…

The Coopers did perform well last year even when the apartment got up to around 78 in the evening.

There guys on here who brew year around with Kviek. You may want to check it out.

EDIT: Kviek may not be good for your preferred style

2 Likes

Thanks. I will look into that.

On the island where. I live. I use kviek yeast. And saison yeast. They handle. High temp perfect. I love the kveik oyl 061. Yeast strain lots. But have been using. Kveik. Hornidal. As well. No esthers. Or off flav

I just did a brew with Oslo from Bootleg Biology a true bottom fermenting yeast that is almost as clean as a traditional cold brewed lager strain.
"Recommended Fermentation Temperature: 75F-98F (24C-37C); colder temperatures may result in higher final gravities or early flocculation/stalling. Pitch and Ferment at 85F (30C) or higher for quickest fermentation time.

I am a big fan of Voss…

1 Like

I also love to throw a Saison into the mix which does well in my apartment with no temperature control until the hottest days of summer.

1 Like