Cleaning Keg Lines

What do you all clean your lines with. I’m heading to the brew store tomorrow to get stuff anyway

PBW. Love it.

BLC
Sneezles61

What’s your technique. I generally fill a mini keg with hot water and push it through. Then add some oxi clean and push that. Then more hot water followed by a starsan rinse. I have used bleach as well. Just wondering if there is a better way

I have a 1 gallon keg… BLC mixed with hot water… Get it to run out of the tap… let it sit for half an hour… Run some more through… sit again… Then hook up a keg with a couple gallons water and flush… D U N…
Of course my lines are under 2’… Something I started doing in the last year…
I looked at the lines and never worried… Well, one day I took one off, used a guitar string and a piece of paper towel, pulled it through… It was right after I barfed, I decided its time…
sneezles61

3 Likes

Blc cleaner From our host i do use I have a dedicated Beer keg. What i fill with blc. Pressure it with co2 And flush this way My beer lines. And after 6 months of use. I do replace the beer lines. With new ones

Took a look at mine a few months ago and replaced them. I also have BLC but use any no-rinse cleaner like One Step and push whatever I’m using from a keg and rinse. Then re-rinse with a 5-12% alcohol, barley and hops solution over and over and…

I should build myself something to pressurize kegs with my compressor so I’m not using CO2 to push cleaners.

3 Likes

Here is a LINK to my post on my cleaning process. Works like a charm and doesn’t need CO2.

:beers:
Rad

SO… We should be aware, all this vaccine is being shipped really cold… Is that dry ice CO2? Will there be a shortage in the months to come? So figuring out a pump/Hudson sprayer could be a gizmo out of necessity…
Sneezles61

Only down fall. If you do use your. Compressor. Make sure. You dont get. Oil residue. In your beer lines. Compressors. Not real. Clean. Air. Unless you. Do use a. Air compressor. They. Got. Filters

1 Like

I think my compressor is oil-less but I’m not there to check. There are inline filters for them though. I wonder if I could capture some of the CO2 from an emptied keg by connecting both gas in posts. It should equalize you would think. I would be just letting it out to refill anyway.

Or I could grab the two dive tanks my neighbor has had sitting by his front door for weeks lol.

Just atach a regulator. On a scuba tank. Create a gizmo. What ataches to the. Lp inflator. So you can pressurize. The keg. Low pressure. On a regulator. About 150 psi

A Hudson sprayer…
Fit a barbed 1/4" gas flare to the hose… With your handy 9/16" wrench disconnect the beer line from the liquid post… now thread it onto the 1/4" flared fitting… Now pump up the Hudson sprayer… get some BLC solution through the beer line… Follow the BLC directions… No CO2 would be harmed… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

4 Likes

I am going to give this a try, I think I have an unused standard garden sprayer around here somewhere…

1 Like

Genius

1 Like

Its all for great home brews for us!
Sneezles61

Let us know if this indeed works as it was dreamt too…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Great idea. I was thinking about a bike tire pump but that would be better. Do you rinse out the Roundup first? :wink:

That should prevent any “weeds” from growing anywhere near your tapper :grin:
Sneezles61

1 Like

BLC recirculated with a pump - see this post
BLC goes into a bottling bucket, steelhead pump with a keg post on the discharge allows simple connection of the beer line, tube from tap back to bucket returns the BLC. I recirc each line for several minutes, then flush out using the same setup.

1 Like