Clawhammer supply

Mine is a CF not a plate but I also find it difficult to get all the water out. After cleaning I try shaking, swirling and propping it up on angle. Still no way to see if all the water is out. I have dunked the whole thing in a bucket of PBW for a soak and was horrified by what came out. Now I make sure to immediately flush it after use, dunk it in either some cleaner or Star San then rinse it again with hot water. I always run through boiling wort before turning on the water.

I have what they call a “trumpet snake” basically a small bottle brush on a long wire to run in from both ends. It finds additional gunk in there. To get all the water out I considered using my compressor but wonder what kind of oil and stuff it might be blowing. Have never had an infection due to the chiller.

1 Like

I just hang it on my brew cart vertically and let it drain out but you know me…low worry threshhold. I figure I’m pushing boiling liquid through it prior to next use anyway.

1 Like

I’ll run hot water through mine when I’m done brewing… Then when I brew, I’ll push the boiling wort through until about a pint has gone through… that goes down the drain… Then I’ll recirc into the kettle…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m re-working my heat exchanger currently. I have a SS TC Counterflow that I’m putting adding inline TC O2 and a TC Thermometer. Ball valves will be on the in of the CF and the out of the O2/therm setup. After chilling I will recirculate PBW both ways for 10 mins each with a 180° rinse. I’ll then hit it with sanitizer and and close the valves, storing it with sanitizer.

1 Like

I think 5 star says that PBW can leave a scale with long term contact. Other than glass I am leery of leaving any chemical in contact for too long. Vinyl tubing gets a weird sticky feeling with StarSan.

The only thing that Star San will be in contact with is Stainless. Star San does leave a slimy film on vinyl as well as turn it opaque.