Cilantro/corriander

we grow tons of this stuff (normally). I was planning on using the seeds in brewing. was wondering if any of y’all use home grown seeds in your brewing/culinary adventures. and do you wait until they dry on the plant before picking?

Yep, just wait until the plant has turned brown, cut the plant at its base and place in a paper bag, shake the bag and collect the seeds.
Should work well in a holiday beer or a Belgian Wit.

I wouldn’t use it in a beer unless you taste it first and like it - American coriander tastes horrible to me (but I love fresh cilantro, go figure).

I’ve been using McCormick’s. they don’t say where it comes from, but I’ll do a comparison before I use the home grown.

[quote=“Edward Teach”]I’ve been using McCormick’s. they don’t say where it comes from, but I’ll do a comparison before I use the home grown.[/quote]If you have an Indian or Asian market in your area, check out the Indian coriander - the seeds are football-shaped rather than round like ours and the flavor and aroma are far superior (at least to my taste).

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Yep, just wait until the plant has turned brown, cut the plant at its base and place in a paper bag, shake the bag and collect the seeds.
Should work well in a holiday beer or a Belgian Wit.[/quote]
that worked real good! and after tasting a few, they taste better than the McCormick’s. they’re smaller, but full of flavor & aroma.