Cider seasons coming

Not sure if I’ve ever posted pictures of my method of chopping apples for pressing. I took a 1/8" plate of steel and drew a 6 sided star on it. Then by using a 3/16" drill bit, I perforated the entire outline of the star and then cut along those perforations with a hack saw. The edge now has a serrated edge. Then I drilled a hole in the middle and attached a long piece of 1/4" threaded rod to the star with nuts. I then bent 3 of the star’s points up and 3 down in an alternating fashion thus forming a 6" diameter blender blade. I feed the rod through a hole in a 2 gallon bucket lid and attach a drill to the other end. I can thoroughly chopped a bucket of apples in a matter of a minute. The apples then go into a large nylon mesh bag in a 5 gallon bucket that has a layer of cut up lengths of 1/2" pieces of PVC pipe with a false bottom made from another buckets bottom with a bunch of holes drilled in it. The 5 gallon bucket has a plastic spigot on the side at the bottom to collect the cider in a pan. The press is built with 4x4’s and a scissor jack. The secret is patience. Apply force slowly and gradually for better yield. My personal record is 14 gallons in a day. My season best is 26 gallons.

1 Like

My press is fast and simple. I do like your mashing system. Do you have to quarter the apples or to them in whole

I throw the apples in whole.

^^^^ the mangler! Sneezles61

1 Like

A better masher

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

Theres no way around it, the first step is kinda messy! Yes, this looks pretty cool! Sneezles61

Well… Cider season is around the corner! I haven’t got many apples except for the honey crisp tree… Those a sooo good eating… I’ll be on the look out for peeps with apples this year! So its time to gather up stuff to make the whiz bang apple cider making gizmo… I should be able to work the bugs out this year so when next years crop comes in …I’m ready… Sneezles61

This is my off year for apples, too, but some of the trees just MIGHT be getting back on a yearly schedule after heavy pruning… fingers crossed. Got a good amount on a couple of trees, so I should be able to get a few gallons.

1 Like

Same here. I pruned the apples hard last year so the crop is small also hoping to get them back to yearly. Got a big pear crop but the squirrels got them all. Good crop of peaches though.

1 Like

Pesky squirrels! So, is there an elixir out there made only from peaches? Sneezles61

I’ve made peach wine before and also blended a few into my cider along with pears. I may try a straight up peach cider this year though

2 Likes

Now that sounds tasty!