Cider seasons coming

Not all Bret beer are sours. Berliner Weis and gose are sour mash beers. You need lacto for that I believe. Don’t know alot about Bret brewing and I’m not sure but from what I’ve read Bret clausini was cultured from British wooden beer kegs and is appropriate for a ESB. I started this thread about cider and ended here. I’ll start another post and see if we can get some more people responding

I’m sorry, didn’t mean to derail your original topic… Sneezles61

I’m going to do a small gallon batch of cider with molasses before I do a big batch.

I just picked a wheel barrow full of State fair apples… I’ll be juicing Sunday… My Haralson’ are still quite tart, very firm… I found the honey crisp had a dozen apples on it! Well, now its down to 11… That was a very tasty eat! Mean while after picking, there were a dozen or so that hit the ground… We left them there for the deer… Half an hour later… 6 of them… Sneezles61

1 Like

the deer prefer the pears around here. I have a bumper crop of peaches. going to process them tomorrow then concentrate on the apples. I did juice a gallon yesterday

I won’t get any apples until late October and probably won’t press them until November, but the trees are loaded down pretty good. Heck, I still haven’t bottled my Kveik cider from last year, so no rush. Probably going to do a pedio + brett cider this year.

ooh. that could be interesting

Haven’t tried a pedio cider, but some strains are supposed to be able to convert malic into lactic acid, and actually reduce the sourness. We’ll see. Bootleg biology’s funk weapon 2 strain is a tropical fruit bomb and would probably be awesome in cider. Hopefully won’t get too horsey like some others.

My apple trees are looking loaded too. I’m going to try adding oak cubes to secondary or tertiary this year for a few weeks. Maybe a French medium roast.

I’m thinking brown sugar and raisons.

Never thought of using wood… Fun to try whack up a chunk of white oak, put in the oven for a while… Sanitizing? Sneezles61

In Drew’s cider book, he recommends either boiling or steaming the cubes for 15 minutes.

1 Like

Now for something completely different… I see I have a wheat yeast lurking in the shadows of my fridge… hhhmmm… Sneezles61

Pressed today. Another 2 gallons. As soon as the Cortland’s drop I should have enough.

1 Like

OK all the apples are pressed and I’ll pitch some 04 tomorrow along with a pound of raisons and pound of brown sugar. Also have a 1/2 gallon cranberry juice I’ll throw in for some tartness. After it ferments out I’ll taste it if it needs something maybe some ginger. I’ll make that call when the time comes

1 Like

I was looking at the whizbang cider press system… That looks to be the cats meow! Sneezles61

I’ve thought about using the garbage disposal system but hadn’t thought about how to mount it. That looks like a good idea. My homemade press is similar but I use a bucket with a bunch of holes drilled. I’m thinking to get a stainless steel pot and drill holes in it. I thought about making a traditional wood one. Pain to clean even if it looks cool. Some day I’ll weld up a metal frame. Something I can knock down

I was just outside juicing, and I will have to wait a little longer… My Haralsons are still quite green… State fair apples are all done… I’ll have to do some day dreaming about the whiz bang gizmo… I’d like to have that simple of setup… I’ve got 2 hours with the Omega 1000, barely a gallon…:disappointed: Sneezles61

I saw another homemade crusher made from 2 wood rollers with a bunch of screws drilled into them . Look Ed easy enough. I like that garbage disposal though. Wondering how fast you could fire the apples through. Still need to quarter them

I would assume, with a garbage disposal gizmo you could simplify your life… I can build all kinds of stuff… why not keep things simple? Sneezles61