Chipped Carboy, fixable?

I have 2 glass carboys and 2 plastic better bottles… I don’t use the glass anymore, especially when I had found a dead mouse in one… Sanitized and fermented apple cider… it had a mousy smell to it… I do ferment apple juice in the better bottles… I have to leave them alone quite a bit longer than beer to ferment and don’t want to tie up my brew fermenters… Sneezles61

You could have brewed a brown ale in it and called it something like “Mousy Brown” or left the mouse in there (like the worm in Tequila) and called it “One Brown Mouse” (great Jethro Tull song). :slight_smile:

@sneezles61, I have to ask…after cleaning and sanitizing a glass carboy…you didn’t really detect a mousy smell in the cider could you?

1 Like

YES! Back in the cider press posts… towards the end… I’ll blame the Belle Saison yeast… Not saying its a bad yeast… perhaps … doesnt mingle with apple too well… Pork Chop has a similar report in there too… not the same results tho… Sneezles61

I did a search of the forum for “mouse”. I wasn’t surprised by the rodent posts but was by the number of posts regarding an off-flavor described as mousy. John Palmer never mentioned this in How To Brew! :joy:

2 Likes

It aint just a thing… its real!.. I even did some grapefruit wine ( Steely Dan… FM ) Mousy… Still would like an adventure there… Sneezles61