Chinook IPA taste

Researching the caramunich shows that it is used to enhance the aroma and for head retention. There are three different ones. From what I read #1 would be what to use with this. There seem to be several hops that might have a little more citrus effect but then it wouldn’t be a Chinook IPA.

I would use the first round of hops as the directions tell… The others, plus perhaps a couple more ounces, I’d put in AFTER the fermenter quiets down… Leave them in there at room temp for 3-5 days… Then cold crash in the fridge for 3 days and you are set to package… Sneezles61

I always get grapefruit flavor from Cascade. I make my version of the Chinook IPA and give it a heavy dose of Cascade for dry hopping. You can call it whatever you want. Sometime I use citra or amerillo for the dry hops it always comes out good.

Thanks for the help. So use 1 oz in the boil and 2 oz for dry hop? I assume this is to get more usage out of the hops.

Now lets incorporate Brew Cats ideas too… Can you get your hands on 2 oz’s of cascades? You can dump all 4 oz of hops in AFTER the primary fermentation calms down… See, I have alot of Cascade cone hops in the freezer, sealed up… I worry that the peeps that grow and analyze them say they don’t store well… I really enjoy the simpler hops and, in my book Cascades is one of them… Keep us in the loop as to whats brewing’… Don’t be afeared of asking… there are SOOO many knowledgeable peeps right here… Sneezles61

Thanks . This is the plan for now. I need to brew both kits this weekend so that it will be ready for a party in mid/late April. No homebrew store less than 2 hrs away so I will have to stick with the stuff in the kit but will try the other suggestions next time. One kit brewed as is except for adding a little grapefruit zest to the dry hop. The other I will use your suggestion and only put the first round of hops in the boil and then use the rest in the dry hop. Will use timing schedule as.last batch. 2 weeks primary, 1 week dry hop and then bottle for 2-3 weeks. Thanks again for the help and I will report back.

1 Like

Next time you put in an order buy some extra hops to keep on hand.

That’s the plan. Extra hops and caramunich. Any other ingredients that come in handy from time to time?

I always keep Irish moss and yeast nutrient on hand. Some extra tubing also.

Have you signed up for NB’s email offers? Current offer: Offer valid online and in-store through 11:59 pm CST on 3/10/2018, while supplies last. 10% off and free shipping over $59.

Thanks and yes I do get the offers and try to take advantage of them.

I have been researching some of these ideas and have started a new order already. Good thing most of these suggestions are cheap.

1 Like

Brewing doesn’t need to be expensive. I like to keep some lite dme on hand.

Thanks again. What’s the extra dme for? Also looking at hops to order I saw the roots available for several. I like my garden and vines so this is interesting to me. Thinking Chinook, Cascade and centennial. Do these do well in Texas and will they produce hops that can be dried and used the first year?

Extra Dme to increase your beers gravity. Comes in handy when doing all grain but can also be used by extract Brewers also. Say you add to much water or you want to get a few more bottles out of a batch. Or just up the abv to balance the extra hops

Good to know. Thanks

Also good for yeast starters.

3 Likes

Buy your hops in bulk, cheaper that way. You can break them down by freeze packing them in smaller quantities. Keep them in the freezer for longer life and reduced degradation.

If you want a little extra grapefruit consider dosing with your grapefruit extract. Pour four 2oz samples. Dose each one with a different amount, then scale up.

Question for all the chinook experts here… I bottled up a case for my in laws a month or so ago. Not sure they have consumed any yet and I am curious what the thoughts are for how long it can sit in the bottle and still be tasty ? I always hear the podcasts talk about how IPAs should be consumed " fresh". I don’t have that problem at home as it flows pretty easily from the kegerator once carbed and ready.

It will still be good. I find the hops may fade a bit but it won’t go bad

I consider two months is still fresh after two to three weeks of bottle conditioning. At three months it is still really good but just not like the original recipe as it is in the first two months.