Chillwave Double IPA (beer formerly known as Alchemy Hour)

Just got a case from the Great Lakes Brewing gift shop yesterday. Is it bad that I can’t even focus on work cause all I can think about is going home and enjoying one of those bad boys? So good!

I don’t care for it since they changed the name… doesn’t taste the same…

Just kiddin’. Its a very well made beer so I don’t blame you, especially since you got a case.

I’m so jealous of you guys. That may be my favorite DIPA, but it’s so elevated in my head that it would probably never live up to my expectations now.

Hopefully my source in WI can come through for me again this year.

Also - I hate the new name, but no doubt the meaning is lost on me since I’m not a local.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the name change. The idea was it’s a tribute to a bunch of crazy lunatics who actually surf Lake Erie this time of year. I guess Alchemy Hour is a west coast surfers term for the best time of day to surf. So the name change still pays tribute to the Cleveland surfers but it sounds more like a refreshing sports drink or the scent of men’s deodorant to me :slight_smile:

If you want to see the crazy surfers for yourself, check out Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations episode on Cleveland.

Finally got my Chillwave fix, but unfortunately a couple months past its prime. 4 pack for $13. Meanwhile a 4 pack of dirt wolf was $9 and much fresher tasting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Did it seem sweeter this year? I remember it definitely being a little sweet cause of the honey malt but it seemed more so this year. Could be that my tastes have veered toward bone dry IPA’s recently. And it definitely needs to be drunk fresh. There were still some on shelves around town here but I opted for something else. Lake Erie Monster will be coming out in a few weeks i think. It’s no chillwave but its still a tasty brew.

I can’t remember enough to compare to last years version. The hops tasted more muted. It is a little sweet, but I think that’s to be expected as a DIPA…plus as you say, it has honey malt. Erie Monster is definitely a fine brew. Unfortunately United no longer has a flight between Cleveland and Raleigh, so no more long layovers at the GL restaurant for me :frowning:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

you guuys really know how to perk someones interest about beer. i will be leaving work on a mission to find some.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]I don’t care for it since they changed the name… doesn’t taste the same…

Just kiddin’. Its a very well made beer so I don’t blame you, especially since you got a case.[/quote]

A little late to respond, but I’m bored today and figured what the heck…

I actually DO think it tasted different. Sort of like the Christmas Ale that changes every year it seems, the Chillwave came out different too and I’m not the only person to notice. It’s still a great beer.

May I suggest Lake Erie Monster DIPA?

[quote=“moose”][quote=“Loopie Beer”]I don’t care for it since they changed the name… doesn’t taste the same…

Just kiddin’. Its a very well made beer so I don’t blame you, especially since you got a case.[/quote]

A little late to respond, but I’m bored today and figured what the heck…

I actually DO think it tasted different. Sort of like the Christmas Ale that changes every year it seems, the Chillwave came out different too and I’m not the only person to notice. It’s still a great beer.

May I suggest Lake Erie Monster DIPA?[/quote]

Yeah it definitely tasted different this year. It was not as good this year IMO.

I’m not a big fan of Lake Erie Monster. It’s OK but just doesn’t have that punch you in the face hop presence that I expect from a DIPA. I’d much rather have a Fat Heads Head Hunter.