Chili Recipes

Post your favorite chili recipe here. I just made a Beer chili. 12 servings, or 6 my sized servings.

1lb ground Beef
1lb ground Pork
2 29oz can Diced Tomatoes
3 cans chili beans
1 12oz can tomato paste
2 green peppers
2 jalapenos
1 lg onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
3 bay leaves
1 pint of homebrew

Brown beef and pork in frying pan.
Empty cans of stuff into large pot, place on low heat.
Add beer to the pot. (fill one for yourself)
Chop up peppers and onion and garlic add to pot. Chop garlic and jalapenos smaller than onion and green pepper.
Strain meat, add to pot.
Add spices to pot.

Simmer for about an hour or so.

Let me know yours, or comment on mine.

You wanted chili recipes and then you post one for bean stew? :wink:

I didn’t know there was a difference. What’s chili like it TX? Its pretty bland up here, but then again a casserole is a hotdish here too.

In TX its beef and gravy. Up north it’s chili con carne, or something like that. What ever it is, i’m getting hungry. Let’s make both!

you Texans and your meat sauce. :lol: if you can’t handle a few beans, stay out of the kitchen. hahaha!!

[quote=“brans041”]
I didn’t know there was a difference. What’s chili like it TX? Its pretty bland up here, but then again a casserole is a hotdish here too.[/quote]everything is called hotdish up here. I swear cold cereal is called hotdish.

[quote=“Edward Teach”]you Texans and your meat sauce. :lol: if you can’t handle a few beans, stay out of the kitchen. hahaha!![/quote]Absolutely nothing wrong with beans, I make a crock pot every Sunday, but you can’t call something “chili” if it has beans in it. You can call it “chili with beans” or “lentil chili” (which is what I made for this week), but you have to reveal the beans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Apparently beans are controversial… But since chili started in TX I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

[quote=“brans041”]But since chili started in TX I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.[/quote]It’s a popular argument around here, like whether or not a place that doesn’t sell brisket can call themselves a barbeque. But wikipedia backs me up on the no-beans thing: “The first documented recipe for “chile con carne” is dated September 2, 1519. The ingredients were boiled tomatoes, salt, chiles and meat.”

everywhere I went in TX all sodas were called a Coke, except for Dr. Pepper. I can’t trust anyone to tell me what things are called when they say a 7Up is a Coke. :lol:

[quote=“Edward Teach”] I can’t trust anyone to tell me what things are called when they say a 7Up is a Coke. :lol: [/quote]Why would you want a 7Up?

to go with my Seagram’s.

This is from Americas Test Kitchen and is a mixture of Texas chili and Northern Chili with beans or Cincinnati Chili. I really like it and make it a few times a year. The smoked pepper paste works very well. I would also use a porter or octoberfest style beer instead of a lager. I also add more liquid in form of stock and increase the tomatoes, otherwise it is really thick stuff.

Ingredients

Table salt
1/2pound dried pinto beans (about 1 cup), rinsed and picked over
6 dried ancho chiles (about 1 3/4 ounces), stems and seeds removed, and flesh torn into 1-inch pieces (see note)
2-4 dried árbol chiles, stems removed, pods split, and seeds removed (see note)
3tablespoons cornmeal
2teaspoons dried oregano
2teaspoons ground cumin
2teaspoons cocoa powder
2 1/2cups low-sodium chicken broth
2medium onions, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
3small jalapeño chiles, stems and seeds removed and discarded, and flesh cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3tablespoons vegetable oil
4medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
1(14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2teaspoons light molasses
3 1/2pounds blade steak, 3/4 inch thick, trimmed of gristle and fat and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (see note)
1(12-ounce) bottle mild-flavored lager, such as Budweiser

Instructions

1. Combine 3 tablespoons salt, 4 quarts water, and beans in large Dutch oven and bring to boil over high heat. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse well.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Place ancho chiles in 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat; toast, stirring frequently, until flesh is fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes, reducing heat if chiles begin to smoke. Transfer to bowl of food processor and cool. Do not wash out skillet.

3. Add árbol chiles, cornmeal, oregano, cumin, cocoa, and ½ teaspoon salt to food processor with toasted ancho chiles; process until finely ground, about 2 minutes. With processor running, very slowly add ½ cup broth until smooth paste forms, about 45 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Transfer paste to small bowl. Place onions in now-empty processor bowl and pulse until roughly chopped, about four 1-second pulses. Add jalapeños and pulse until consistency of chunky salsa, about four 1-second pulses, scraping down bowl as necessary.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until moisture has evaporated and vegetables are softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste, tomatoes, and molasses; stir until chili paste is thoroughly combined. Add remaining 2 cups broth and drained beans; bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.

5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Pat beef dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Add half of beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer meat to Dutch oven. Add ½ bottle lager to skillet, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits, and bring to simmer. Transfer lager to Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil, steak, and lager. Once last addition of lager has been added to Dutch oven, stir to combine and return mixture to simmer.

6. Cover pot and transfer to oven. Cook until meat and beans are fully tender, 1½ to 2 hours. Let chili stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir well and season to taste with salt before serving.

I use my homemade chunky garden salsa and deer burger in mine. I too like a large meat to bean ration.

My friend Kit Anderson has the greatest chili recipe bar none. It’s a true pot of Texas red, and it requires that you make your own chili powder from fresh ground chiles. Once you make this… you will never go back. The crack cocaine of chili.

http://chile.netrelief.com/recipes/bad_ ... cipe.shtml

2 lbs pork roast – cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs cheap ground beef – (You’ll need the fat. This isn’t health food.)
1/2 cup GOOD chile powder – (Your local supermarket brand tastes like cardboard.)
1 HUGE onion – roughly chopped
1 head garlic – minced
8 New Mexican green chiles – roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped.
1 Tbl hot Hungarian paprika – (This is legal. Paprika is a chile.)
1 Tbl ground cumin
4 beef boullion cubes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes – (Don’t worry. You won’t even know they are there.)
1 bottle amber Mexican beer – (Dos Equiis, Noche Buena, or any Oktoberfest will do.)
1/4 cup bourbon – (This is one of those things that just happened.)
2 squares bitter baker’s chocolate – (Not as weird as it sounds.)
salt to taste

Sautee 1/4 of the garlic and onions until translucent. Add 1/4 of the meat, chile powder and brown. Salt the meat while cooking. Put into your chili pot. Cast iron is best. Repeat until all the meat is done. Put the rest of the ingredients in you chili pot and simmer for for a hour.

For the chili powder, Garry Howard’s recipe is my go-to blend. I double the recipe, but in the “second half” of the chile bill I add 3oz of chipotle, 3oz of guajillo, and 1oz of piquin.

http://chile.netrelief.com/recipes/home ... cipe.shtml

Enjoy!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Many years back I was watching a show on PBS. It was a guy cooking with cast iron and fire. Cowboy style. I don’t recall if he was in TX, a little East or a little North.

The premiss of his chilli was cubed meat.

Beef: sirloin and maybe cubed roasts.
Pork: cubed shoulder, rump roast, smoked ham steak, and bacon.
Spice it how ever you like. Beans/no beans.
It’s very interesting with the different textures of the meat.

A bit more expensive than ground beef. But as Art
http://mrfood.co/the-evolution-of-the-brand/
said, “”OOH IT’S SO GOOD!! ®” .

Cubed meat versus ground meat is almost as strong a holy war as tomatoes versus no tomatoes.

Personally, if you’ve got the time and you can get enough fat in it… I love cubed meat. I’ve made a variation of Kit’s recipe with two types of brisket – the point, cubed and added at the beginning, and the flat, smoked and cooked wabba-wabba and added in the last hour of cooking.

It makes for more work… but damn is it worth it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Nice recipe. Pretty much the same recipe I use over here in the UK. Has anyone tried adding dark chocolate? Sounds weird I know but I can recommend it! (Not too much as it WILL taste like chocolate)! Enjoy.

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

pork shoulder
chuck roast

around 5 lb’s combined

1 large onion
2 green bell pepper
2 red bell pepper
5 cloves garlic
1-2 scotch bonnet/habenero peppers

1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

6 cups beef stock
1 bottle raucht bier-- I use Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock

2 oz. unsweetened bitter chocolate

chili rub:
2 Tblspn ground cumin
2 Tblspn chili powder
1 Tbspn Mexican ogegano
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp brown sugar

combine ingredients for the rub rub on both hunks of meat.
(don’t use it all if you don’t have to)

in a heavy dutch oven or stock pot, sear the crap out of all sides of the meat.
(sear in batches if you have to)

remove.

add all of the fresh veggies and sautee until the onion is transluscent.

add half of tomato paste and cook for a few minutes until it smells nice.
(add the remaining seasonings if any are left)

fish out all of the peppers out of the adobo sauce and put 2-3 peppers in the chili and all of the sauce.

go get a pint glass out of your cabinet.

pour half the beer into the chili…you know what to do with the rest.

add the stock, the meat you removed and bring to a boil.

reduce heat add the chocolate and the bonnets and simmer untill the meat pulls apart.

I always make this by sight so the dry ingredients are close approximations, it’s not rocket science, just some other kind of science.

you can add beans if you want-my wife dosen’t like em so I usually leave them out, however if you like them, toss in a couple cans of black beans at the end of the simmer.

oh yeah…if you don’t have all day to let the chili cook, cube up the meat and sear on all sides.(takes a long time, it’s a pain in the rear, and you have to brown in batches or it steams) it will be spoon tender in a fraction of time.