Changing methods

Hi all! It’s been forever since u,'ve been here. I,m switching to one gallon batch brewing in most likely BIAB. Red help with tuning recipes down from five gallon since I suck at math lol. Also any BIAB tips…thanks in advAnce and I intend to see what’s around for one gallon kits…thanks​:beer::beer:

1 gallon batches are a breeze for BIAB.

1 Like

Multiply 5 gallon recipes by 1/5. Also for the biab, I would definitely use a 10 minute mash out at 170 degrees Fahrenheit. It changed efficiency for me drastically. Stir constantly while it is heating to 170 and then rest for 10 mins

1 Like

Why are you going down to 1g from what I assume is 5 gallons?

Been a rough year time and finance wise…this way I should be able to keep goin and learning till things get better​:beer::beer:

1 Like

Should that be divide???

Multiplying by a fraction is the same as dividing.

1 Like

You could also use an online recipe site (Brewtoad is free as are several others) Once you enter the recipe, it’s easy to change the batch size.

1 Like

I like 1/3 size batches of 1.67 gallons, so just divide all the ingredients in a standard recipe by 3.

I’ve gone as low as 1.25 gallons (which would be dividing by 4) but 1 gallon (divided by 5) just seems so tiny to me, you only really get a 6-pack out of it after trub losses. I still do small batches like that for cider and mead to fit 1-gallon containers to limit head space, but for beer that won’t be sitting in a fermenter for many months, it just doesn’t seem like 1 gallon is enough. But to each his own. Just some stuff to consider.

I may as well throw in my two cents. I also struggle with division. Since you will be using a calculator multiple the five gallon quantities time .2. With multiplication it doesn’t matter which number you type in first.

Butt is it cheaper to brew 5 gal on the end. You save money. Tell me it sucks at the moment. Try to finish my new brew room but cash tight. Freaking both cars broke down.

1 Like