Caribou Slobber All-Grain Kit

Looking at brewing my first All Grain kit - has anyone tried this one - would
welecome feedback - tips - suggestions

I found it to be an excellent beer and I now keep it on tap as one of my main beers.

I made it with the malteurop 2 row instead of the rahr and wow was that a good choice ask them to use that in the kit instead of the rahr you won’t be sorry.

The reason I used that malt is the fact that it comes from the area that moose drool brewery is in and I think they use that malt.

Just brewed this AG kit this past Thursday. I chose the dry yeast since I had some around and did this at the last minute.
It smells great and looks like desert! I’m not a brown ale fan and can’t get the real deal in my town but everyone who’s tried the Drool and knows what I like has told me I need to try it so I did.
I plan 3 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the keg at room temp then in the kegerator. Perfect for football season starting up.

I have made this 3 times, 1 extract and 2 AG,. they were all good, but to be honest I found the extract version much better.

I too preferred the extract kit to the AG recipe. I thought I might have been the only one!

Was there a significant difference in the fg between grain and extract?

The extract version finished at 1.015 and the AG at 1.012.

The extract version finished at 1.015 and the AG at 1.012.[/quote]

My extract finished at 1.014 and my AG finished at 1.010

I’ll let you know in a few weeks how this one turns out…brewed the AG version on Friday afternoon. I used the dry yeast, and Saturday morning came with the airlock blowing CO2 like CRAZY. it went bonsai through saturday and by now (sunday night) it’s pretty quiet. I have a feeling that this is going to be a good one…

I am guessing that you did not control your fermentation temps if it fermented out that quickly? If so, it will probably be good, but might have some off flavors

I am guessing that you did not control your fermentation temps if it fermented out that quickly? If so, it will probably be good, but might have some off flavors[/quote]

I thought about that…I chilled it down to sub-70F and it sat in my (very) air conditioned laundry room at probably 73F. maybe it was turbo yeast. we shall see.

I am guessing that you did not control your fermentation temps if it fermented out that quickly? If so, it will probably be good, but might have some off flavors[/quote]

I thought about that…I chilled it down to sub-70F and it sat in my (very) air conditioned laundry room at probably 73F. maybe it was turbo yeast. we shall see.[/quote]

73* ambient temp would push it to the upper 70’s with active fermentation.

See my signature below for ways to keep the fermenter cool.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

See my signature below for ways to keep the fermenter cool.[/quote]

+1 - you really wanted to be a lot closer to 60 than 73 degrees to make really good beer

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“Nighthawk”]

See my signature below for ways to keep the fermenter cool.[/quote]

+1 - you really wanted to be a lot closer to 60 than 73 degrees to make really good beer[/quote]

Thanks for the input, guys. I’ve got 109 batches under the belt, and I have to confess that I’ve never paid all THAT much attention to fermentation temps. Usually, I put the fermenter in a slightly warmer location until it gets going, then I move it downstairs, where it’s low to mid 60s most of the year. I forgot to move it on this batch. The other thing I just started doing was chilling my wort down a bit further. Usually, I’ve had enough of waiting when I hit 78-80 and dump into the fermenter and pitch at that point. Last couple of batches, I’ve taken it down sub-70. My march pump will be here Thursday (thank you, NB), and I’m moving to a whirlpool immersion chiller setup (a la Jamil).

Maybe I should invest the $10 in some temp strips for my buckets/carboys so I can see what kind of temps I have going on. Also, I usually use wyeast, and I noticed that liquid yeasts seem to have a higher ideal temp in general?

I’m sampling my annual Christmas beer (10% Belgian-ish style) at the moment…I have no idea what my fermentation temp was, but it’s pretty danged good!

update: kegged it almost a week ago. sampling now. tasty beverage. i’d buy/brew it again.

Just put mine in the kegerator last night and after it cools tonite, will put gas on it. I should have a taste test by Wednesday.
I don’t think mine attenuated as well and my ABV is a bit low, not that I care about ABV but I wonder how much that will affect the taste. It will definitely be a session beer.

Going to give this a taste tonite with some friends, none of which, including me, having ever tried the real Drool. I’m not sure what to expect though I’m pretty sure it’s a bit early at only 5 weeks but I’ll enjoy it all the same.
So, not having had the real thing or the clone, what can I expect? What should I be tasting?
I’m thinking the malt should come thru pretty much with only a slight nose and moderate bitterness. Should I taste any coffee or caramel? Some say a slightly nutty taste though,based on the recipe, I don’t see that.

The longer you let it age, the better it will get. When I brew this, the first tastings at 2 weeks (as I do all of my brews) is not nearly as tasty as when I taste it after 3 to 4 months. Let it age.